✞ The wager ✞

You and L had known each other since you were children. You both arrived at the orphanage at the same time, and together you were an unstoppable duo. L was the mastermind of your mischief, and you were the one who executed the plan to perfection with your innocent looks and tender eyes. You could always do whatever you wanted because you were the smartest.

As the years went by, the games became difficult cases to solve, and although you didn't like detective work, you were pretty good at it, especially at infiltrating the more obscure and unlikely parts of the internet. You were adept at breaking security, and when necessary, you were L's most valuable ally. And of course, you spent so much time together that inevitably some feelings started to emerge, even if they weren't entirely clear.

You seemed to be the only ones who didn't realise that you were in love with each other. The rest of the orphanage teased you constantly, singing songs about you sneaking kisses or insinuating that you could only mate with each other because you were from the same planet of weird people. Anyway, now that you were both teenagers, L about to come of age and you only a year away from coming of age too, the insinuations about your romance were louder and more annoying than ever, so like the good friends you were, rivals and allies in turn, you decided to promise not to fall in love with each other, betting to make it interesting. What was the bet? Well, the money you had wasn't technically yours, but Watari's, nor was your stuff. The only thing that was totally yours was your identity, so if either of you fell in love with the other, you would have to confess your real name and be each other's butler for a year.

So far it had all been child's play until the orphanage decided to go camping one night, something even you weren't spared from, after all, it would be one of your last forced cohabitations before you could leave. Nevertheless, the boys slept in one part of the forest and the girls in another, in big tents that you shared with small groups. Except for L, who, because he had insomnia, had his own individual tent with his laptop in it.

The boys were bothering the girls in their part of the camp. They were trying to spy on them while they were undressing, or playing pranks on them to scare them. Nothing that would get the attention of someone as serious as L. But there were another few boys who had stayed in their part of the camp and were burning marshmallows around a campfire.

The night was so quiet that all L could hear were the voices of the boys talking. He might as well have continued working and taken them as background noise, but the moment he heard your name he could no longer concentrate. He had to know what they were saying, especially since you were pretty malicious when they played pranks on you, and he didn't want to end up covered in some nasty stuff by mistake.

"It's not serious, it's just a rumour," said one of the boys, whom L recognised as Duncan. He was a friend of yours. "They're not dating, they barely look at each other."

"Did (Y/N) tell you that?" asked another boy.

"No, but I've been watching them. Everyone knows L is very strong, I had to make sure they weren't together so he wouldn't beat me up."

"So you kissed her? -What did she do?"

Someone had kissed you and you hadn't told him about it? Ouch.

"She smiled," Duncan remembered, blushing. "I think she likes me."

"But why didn't you ask her to be your girlfriend?"

"Because I'm waiting for both of us to get out of here. I don't want Watari to bother me if I try to do anything."

L knew exactly what he was talking about: sex. Lately, it seemed like everyone wanted to have sex with you. He wasn't blind, he could see your attractiveness and how other men looked at you, but to think of you that way without even knowing you was something he couldn't understand. You were not that kind of vulgar woman. Maybe you had needs that you didn't tell him about, but he knew it would take you more than a couple of dates to be able to be with a man like that. Besides, he knew perfectly well that you weren't like other girls, and that you weren't interested in having a boyfriend. You were busy enough getting ready for college.