✞ Light vs. L ✞

The Kira case is over, but the task force continues to work. There are still things to solve after you have solved the case, like what you would do with the notebooks and how you would return the world to normal after so many years of disgrace. Light never got his memories back, nor did Misa. The case was solved because they finally caught the remaining Kira, and since you had no evidence that Light had ever been Kira, he was still free and so was his ex-girlfriend.

Yes, ex-girlfriend. Now that there was nothing forcing them to be together, Light had put a restraining order against Misa after her multiple encounters for staying with him, and L had changed the location of the quarters anyway, just to be safe. Anyway, since things were calming down, it was the perfect time for Light to confess his feelings and ask you to be his girlfriend. There was only one problem, the same as always, L.

Everyone in the quarters knew that those two had feelings for you, except you. Maybe L wasn't as talkative and flirtatious as Light, but his eyes sparkled in a different way every time he saw you, and you were the only person he didn't mind sharing his sweets with so far. That afternoon you were in the kitchen talking to Watari about your plans to travel to England in the summer, and the rest of the team was asking Light why he was wearing such a particularly masculine cologne that day.

"To tell you the truth, I was thinking of asking (Y/N) to go out with me after work today," he replied.

L glanced sideways at him from his chair, rolling his eyes at the support he was getting from the rest of the group. Light could have any woman he wanted, but he had to choose the one L wanted. Well, you weren't dating yet, and he knew he had no right to be jealous, but he was head over heels in love with you and wouldn't let anyone, especially Light, date you. He was afraid of that part of himself, but he had known you for a long time and couldn't help it. You'd have to be single, or his if you wanted to keep him in your life.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Light," L said, unable to keep quiet.

"What? Why not?" he asked incredulously.

"She's not your type of woman," L shrugged. He knew you were. You were anyone's type of woman. You were perfect, but he wanted to lower his rival's self-esteem.

"What are you talking about, Ryuzaki? (Y/N) is exactly the kind of person Light would date. They're both smart, attractive, the same age, and they laugh whenever they're together." said Matsuda.

"I'm also smart, attractive, I'm only a couple of years older than her and even when I don't mean to, I make her laugh more often than anyone else," he defended himself.

In fact, he had counted all the times he had made you laugh. You liked to laugh when he played with his food or took such big bites of his desserts that there was frosting or crumbs left at the corners of his lips. You had a great time together.

"Are you saying you're interested in her?" Light raised both eyebrows.

"Yes. To tell you the truth, she's the right type of woman for me."

"And what makes you say that?"

"Well, for starters, she doesn't need to worry about other women coming on to me."

"Maybe that's true, but I think the fact that I could be with any other woman and choose her will make her end up falling in love with me, don't you think?" Imagay had a point.

"I'm the best detective in the world," L said. "The best three, mind you. There's never been a case I can't solve. I am justice."

"Yeah, and all that stuff is great, but it's just your job that keeps you from having a relationship. You can't give her the attention she deserves."

"You're a cop," L scoffed. "It's not like you can do any better."

"Hey, that's enough. I'm sure (Y/N) would agree that you're both a good match," interrupted Matsuda.

"Shut up, Matsuda," said Light and L in unison.

"I'd be willing to leave the police for her," said Light.

"Please, you'd be willing to kill for her," L mocked and stood up from his chair, straightening from his normally stooped posture to be level with Light. "I make the world a better place so she can have the life she deserves."

"You were already making the world a better place because you decided to become a detective."

"That was before I met her. Now I have a motive beyond my personal interests."

"I dress better than you," Light said.

"She likes my hair better than yours," L defended himself.

"She likes to take my jacket home when it's cold," Light counterattacked.

"I'm stronger than you."

"That remains to be seen," said Light, raising his fist.

They grabbed each other's shirts, both fists raised, glaring at each other. You walked into the room confused, watching them before laughing and making fun of the fact that they fight about. But you quickly realised that it wasn't like usual, the tension still hadn't faded and they were both looking at you more than usual.

"(Y/N)," Light called out to you. "I was wondering if you wanted to go for a drink after work."

"She can't today," L answered for you. "I need her to stay with me to sort out some papers."

"No, you don't," Light shouted. "You just don't want her to go out with me because you know she'll choose me."

"But what the hell are you talking about?" you asked confused.

"They both want to go out with you," Matsuda clarified.

"And doesn't it count what I say?"

"That depends," said L. "If you say you won't go out with either of us, which is likely considering your sweet and caring personality, then I don't care what you have to say, because I know it will be a lie so as not to hurt us. If you're willing to tell us who you really choose, then of course I'm interested."

"Well, I choose L," you shrugged. You heard everyone gasp in surprise. "What?"

"That was surprisingly quick," said Aizawa.

"I see, it's because I was a suspect in the investigation, isn't it?" said Light, his head down.

"No, it's just that I feel a connection with L that I haven't felt with anyone else," you admitted.

And not only that. You had dreamt of such a situation happening to you and you knew exactly what to say. Being with L was your fantasy, your dream, your only reason to exist.

"Come on (Y/N) you're among friends, it's because he's rich, right?" Matsuda scoffed.

"Matsuda!" you all scolded him in unison.

"I have my own fortune," no one knew, you had learned to invest when you were fourteen and had become a millionaire only four years later.

"I guess there's no good reason for me to stay here after all," Light muttered to himself, grabbing his things before moving in for a hug. "Thanks for everything, (Y/N)."

"Light, please. Just because I don't see you that way is no reason to end things like this," you tried to go after him, but you felt L grab your hand, his eyes shining as he saw that he had won.

"Let him go. He'll be back," he pulled you towards him, leaving the others surprised before taking your chin and lifting it, bringing his lips close to yours. "Are you going to keep watching? You're making me uncomfortable."

But they didn't care, they didn't turn away. They waited for him to kiss you, finally averting their eyes when you intensified the kiss by grabbing the back of his neck and pulling his face even closer. You definitely made the right choice.