✞ I can't✞

You and L had met at university. Your romance, though it had begun in the first year of your degree, had seemed short-lived for a couple as stable and happy as you were. You were not a typical couple who showed affection in public, or even in private. But you were happy spending your time together with your hearts full and the emptiness you had both felt before you met as a mere memory. Of course, all good things must come to an end, and you had both done so when you graduated.

L wanted to pursue his career as a detective fully, for that he would have to travel the world and stay hidden, a girlfriend was out of the question in his plans. Watari had proposed for you to join L, after all your career allowed you to work from anywhere and it would only be a matter of you accepting the complications of such a busy and risky life. However, L didn't even want to consider an option that should have been yours and chose to break up with you so as not to complicate things further.

While on the eve of graduation most of your friends had been proposed to, you could only replay the image of L breaking up with you with his usual expressionless face, taking the nerve to want to shake your hand without wanting there to be any hard feelings. But of course, you had them. Without realising it, L had become your world and you couldn't conceive of your life without him, but he had made it clear that he no longer wanted to be with you nor was he interested in trying under the life he had decided to lead, so you had no choice but to start from scratch.

Two years had passed, and now you had another boyfriend who was quite intelligent, very handsome, and definitely less childish or needy than L. He had picked up the pieces of your heart to put them back together, put your smile back on your face and taught you to trust men again. You were perfectly fine, you were even thinking of moving in together, but then a case with the FBI led you to meet L again. Not directly, but he had spoken during a conference you had attended about the serial killer case you were working on. Truth be told, you'd barely managed to stop thinking about him, and since you'd found him again somehow the man had managed to turn your world upside down. The worst part was that he now had a way of contacting you, and you lived in terrible anxiety that he would do so while you were with your new boyfriend, but as the days went by it seemed like it was just an unfounded fear.

Mistake. One afternoon, while you were working late in the office, you were the last one left in the team doing the paperwork that nobody wanted, as usual, when his characteristic L appeared on your computer, and his distorted voice started talking to you.

"Hello (Y/N)," You thought about turning off the computer, but instead you just rolled your eyes, stood up and grabbed your coat from the chair, ready to leave. "Please don't be childish."

So, he was watching you through the security cameras. When you were boyfriend and girlfriend you had thought it was strange, but cute, now it just creeped you out. Who knows how long he'd been watching you before you noticed. And if he was doing it at work, did that mean he was watching you at home too? Your laptop had a camera, after all. You said nothing and kept walking. You left the building and your mobile phone started ringing, you texted your boyfriend that you were out of battery and turned it off. You knew it was L, it was an unknown number and you had a function to block those kind of numbers. You arrived at your flat and when you turned on the light you found him standing in the living room, scratching the back of his head and looking down at the floor as he waved at you. You jumped back, holding your breath. The worst thing was that he had taken Watari with him. But who did he think he was?

"Get out of here," you demanded, avoiding his gaze.

"I tried to talk to you on the phone. You shouldn't turn it off if you're walking to your flat alone at this time of night."

"My safety is no longer your concern," you rolled your eyes and looked at Watari. "Why are you here? You were the only one in our relationship who actually cared about me, or so I thought."