✞ Cheater ✞

That morning, when you arrived at headquarters, your hair was messier than usual and your clothes were the same as the ones you had worn the day before. You greeted the members of the task force as you did every day, but they knew from the tone in your voice that something wasn't right.

You sat down in your seat, and almost immediately pulled a small bottle from inside your hoodie, pouring alcohol into the coffee Watari had ready for you. You drank from it indiscreetly, not caring if L or anyone else caught your eye. You were quite resistant to alcohol, and other times you had arrived a little drunk without anyone noticing. However, Light knew you didn't act so unprofessional normally, and asked you what had happened, to which you got straight to the point knowing you were surrounded by detectives who wouldn't hesitate to interrogate you until they found out what had you that way. You confessed that your boyfriend had cheated on you and that you had spent the night awake in a bar, waiting for him to vacate your apartment.

To tell the truth, it wasn't the first time the bastard had done something like that to you, you had tried to break up with him countless times, but he was a pretty toxic person and you couldn't get him out of your life, or out of your home. The night before had been especially hard because you had arrived exhausted, you wanted to get to sleep, but as soon as you opened the door you heard the moans of a woman, interrupting them to ask him for the last time to leave your apartment and take his things with him, threatening that you would charge him with the police now that you were working with them. He didn't believe you, and when you went in the morning to change your clothes, you realised that it looked like the apartment had been ransacked. All your clothes were on the floor, your things were broken, and they had graffitied the walls of your room with the worst word you can say to a woman, leaving you no choice but to go to work without a bath or a change of clothes, knowing that you would only have more of the same shit when your shift was over.

L listened to everything you said in silence, surprised. Had someone cheated on you? How had you ended up with a guy like that? You were too beautiful and too smart for a regular guy, and even though he'd checked out your boyfriend when you joined the task force, he thought there was something special about him that wasn't apparent in his records, and that maybe you'd seen. He knew he had to do something about it, and without telling you he ordered Watari to take matters into his own hands, but not before offering you to stay in the quarters for as long as you needed.

You were grateful, but refused his offer, assuring him that you would find somewhere else to stay. Actually, the idea sounded pretty good, but you felt humiliated and didn't feel that being close to L was a good idea at the time. You had feelings for him and not knowing if he felt the same way about you was just more sadness for your heart, so you had no choice but to go through it alone.

Work was a great way to distract you, but you hadn't slept for a little over two days and your brain was slowly shutting down. You sat down next to L for ice cream and cake, but even that wasn't enough for how tired your mind was. You laid your head on the desk and closed your eyes for a couple of minutes, falling fast asleep. Watari offered to take you to a room, but L asked him to leave you there so he wouldn't wake you up, even though he really just wanted to look at you for a few minutes.

Your face was so relaxed, so peaceful. The way your chest heaved with your slow breathing made him unable to take his eyes off you. How could someone have cheated on you, what kind of monster could hurt you? There was no longer any doubt in his mind, he was in love with you, and he would do anything to make sure you never ended up with a guy like that again. Who knows? Maybe he could make you fall in love with him. Of course, he didn't know you already were.