✞ Jealousy ✞

As the only single woman in the task force, you received quite a lot of attention from the guys, especially Matsuda, who had been smitten by your beauty from the first moment he saw you sitting next to L at headquarters. He often tried to chat with you, but L always stopped him by asking him to concentrate on work, which you had not taken as strange since he was your boss and a very serious person. But that afternoon you hadn't had time to change from college, and you weren't wearing your typical comfortable, loose-fitting clothes, but tight jeans and a blouse with a bit of cleavage. When they saw you come through the door in a hurry, they stopped their conversation to look you over from head to toe, surprised to see you like that, especially L.

He had already seen you in various forms in photographs, as he had seen all the members of the task force when investigating them to let them join the case. But seeing you that way in person was a different experience, the pictures he had found of you definitely didn't do justice to how you really looked, no matter that he didn't show it by his neutral expression, averting his gaze before looking at you for longer than he considered normal.

"You look beautiful, (Y/N)!" Matsuda exclaimed, giving you a thumbs up without noticing that he was blushing, "Do you have a date or something?

You noticed how L was paying attention to what he was saying by the way he was looking at you sideways.

"No," you laughed, "I was running late and didn't have time to change."

"I don't know why you change, you look good like that," added Light, whose presence you hadn't noticed until now, but who had been watching what you were doing.

"Comfort," you shrugged.

"If you don't have a date, would you like to go somewhere with me after work?" Matsuda asked, scratching the back of his neck as he smiled awkwardly at you.

"Please go back to work," L interrupted. "Let's not waste time."

Matsuda lowered his head but continued to wait for your response.

Actually, you thought Matsuda was cute, but you weren't interested in him in that way and agreeing to go out with him would only give him hope. The guy was insistent, though. You didn't say anything to him and decided that you would talk to him when your shift was over, asking him to walk you to your car before you left.

L did his best to keep you both in the quarters for as long as he could, but eventually, even Watari told him that he was asking too much of you for such a quiet day, and he had no choice but to let you go. But seeing that you were taking your things and that Matsuda was waiting for you with more enthusiasm than usual, he turned his chair in your direction, stopping you before you went out the door.

"I hope you understand that you are forbidden to go out while you are on this investigation," he said in his calm voice, hiding his anger behind his coffee mug. "It wouldn't be appropriate."

"But Light is dating Misa, they even have dates here," said Matsuda.

"Yeah, but that's different," L shrugged. "If you decide to start dating then I'm afraid I'll have to pull you out of this investigation."

Your heart was beating fast against your chest. You weren't planning on going on any dates with Matsuda, but it made you feel a pit in your stomach anyway. Those rules applied to you and L as well, and while deep down you already knew, that didn't mean it hurt any less to hear it.

"It's okay," Matsuda broke the silence, "I can wait for you until this is all over."

You raised your eyebrows in surprise. Maybe if Matsuda was a bit more mature, you would have definitely considered dating him. Anyway, you weren't going to turn him down in front of L. You asked him to go without you for this one, leaving you alone with L as he stacked the sugar cubes, hiding his smile.

"You know, when I joined this investigation, I knew I wouldn't have a personal life," you admitted, though you knew L probably already knew that.

"You can have a personal life, just not at work."

"You mean if I got a boyfriend outside the task force it wouldn't bother you?"

L stopped what he was doing, tensing his shoulders. He already knew the answer to that, of course, it would bother him. Even the slightest friendly interaction you had with someone who was interested in you bothered him, and he knew it was wrong, he just didn't have a way to control it, nor did he care to. If he saw you with another man like that, he really didn't know what he would be capable of. Of course, you weren't supposed to know that.

"No," he lied, "You can do whatever you like."

"It's a relief that you say that," you decided to test him, "Because the truth is that I rejected Matsuda because I'm seeing someone else."

"No, you're not," said L, not caring to give away the fact that he knew that because he was keeping a close eye on you even outside the headquarters.

"I am," you insisted. "But you're right, such things are not appropriate to talk about at work."

You turned around and approached the elevator, pressing its buttons as you could hear L's heavy breathing in the silence.

"(Y/N)," he stopped you. "Make sure I never meet him."

You smiled to yourself, not taking your eyes off the elevator, which opened its doors and let you in.

"Don't worry, that won't be a problem," you said, leaving L alone with his thoughts as he realised he had fallen.

If things continued this way, he would end up having no choice but to ask you to be his girlfriend.