Endless Parade Of Barriers

{Elsa's Point Of View}
"Shh! Quiet!" I exclaimed. How could I have been so careless? So reckless? "The guards! The guards at the edge of the kingdom gates!" I remembered ashamedly, how could I have done this after knowing deep down that there was no possibility of escaping the kingdom without provoking attention? Then I heard a little, familiar giggle from a very short distance away. "Get back!" I whispered violently to Hans, pulling him behind a nearby tree and into the shadows of the night. "And that's when I told Anna about having to steal a new nose from the Kitchen after Sven ate mine!" The chorus of Kingdom guards who were either leaning on the gates or sitting on the stone walls that marked the entrance to the kingdom roared with laughter. "Seems like Olaf's keeping cheery after everything" Hans whispered cockily. "What do you expect? He's an optimist - of course he believes Anna is coming back". We stood there in silence for a few moments, listening to the guards' laughter die out as Olaf prepared to tell his next side-splitting story. "I thought she definitely wasn't coming back" Hans spoke in a confused tone. "I said I thought that something bad had happened. We lost contact with her boat - we didn't receive contact that she had died". Further silence. I watched his face drop in disappointment. It was almost like he wanted to believe that my sister and only friend had perished. Angrily, I replied to his facial expressions with a wary "Is that a problem?" And he held up his hands in protection and surrender, and I let down my guard as I thought of how we could start our lives together anew. Who was I kidding? Of course Anna was dead. Hans took a deep sigh. "So, what's the plan?"