II

"This means they are signing underwater"
This is a thought.
——————

He shot erect, eyes wide. It was Tuk. He could see her silhouette through the thin membrane of the flap covering the doorway. Sweat beaded on his forehead.

"Hurry up Lo'ak, I want to see how Neteyam is!" she whined. Aonung, fully awake now, twisted his head.

He leapt to his feet, ripping the flap covering the window to the side. Light spilled in, and he stopped for a moment. He turned his head once more. His eyes lingered on the injured boy's face, it looked peaceful. He snapped back to reality when he heard footsteps approaching. Quickly, he vaulted out of the opening, letting the window flap seal him away from Neteyam, and the embarrassment of being caught. He didn't realize he had been holding his breath. He panted quietly, straightening his posture. He listened as Tuk skipped into the mauri with Lo'ak. As he turned from the wall, Kiri brushed past him, her shoulder nudging with his own. The air escaped his lungs. Had she seen? His mind raced as he moved into a quick stride, trying to get as far away as possible.

Aonung sat atop his trusty Ilu, adjacent to him was Rotxo.

"What is up with you man, you keep spacing out?" Rotxo pushed his shoulder playfully, a smirk playing at his lips.

"Nothing," Aonung said shortly.

"Must be a girl," Rotxo spoke as slyly as a cat.

"Yeah, you're right," Rotxo wasn't completely wrong, he was still worried Kiri saw him. With that, he let out a click, his Ilu diving under the water. Following close behind, was Rotxo. Bright colors wizzed passed as Aonung spurred his Ilu onward. Rotxo caught up to him, their Ilus swimming side by side. Rotxo smirked, signing out "lets race".

"First to The Overlook wins, if you loose you have to tell me her name," continued Rotxo.

Instead of responding, Aonung smirked, urging his Ilu into its fastest pace. Rotxo was taken back, annoyed that he didn't wait for his signal. Aonung swerved around a large coral, racing through the long kelp that obscured even the most trained eye's vision. They emerged from the forrest of kelp, finally in open water. Ahead was The Overlook. It was a mountainous island, packed with dense underbrush, and tall, looming trees. I'm the center, however, it was full of lagoons, with deep, winding underwater caves. Above these lagoons is where it got it's name. It was the highest peak in the Metkayina region, where sacred rituals have taken place for millennia. The Ilu Aonung was riding surfaced as it neared the beach. No way, Aonung groaned.

There, standing on the beach, with his arms raised, was Rotxo. The Ilu slowed, and Aonung slid off of its back, trudging through the water. Droplets cascaded down his body, and the sun beat down on his back. He approached Rotxo, hating the look on the other boy's face. Just great, he scowled.

"So, Aonung, who is she?" his sly smile made uneasy.