VIII

He had left the mauri soon after Kiri, not speaking a word to Neteyam. He was now sitting in the dark in his own family's pod. Aonung's head was all over the place, about his rite of passage and what he would do about the Neteyam situation. He sighed, burying his head into his knees. In less than a day the Tulkun would arrive. I will speak to Näkmay tomorrow, see what he has to say about it. He was referencing his spirit brother. He knew the Tulkun was wise, far beyond his friends. Aonung staggered over to his hammock, falling onto it. He rolled onto his back, staring up into the dark abyss of the mauri. He could hear the commotion of the dinner held down the beach still as he closed his eyes.

Aonung was perched atop a Skimwing, flying just above the water. Across his arms were large tattoos that linked with even bigger ones on his chest. The wind blew through his hair, which was half up, half down. His hair stayed in tight curls, bouncing on his shoulders. A cry from above caught his attention. He raised his gazed. A giant dragon-like creature soared overhead. It was green in color, with brown stripes across its vast wings. He whooped, balling his first in the air. The Ikran dove, spiraling as it did so. The rider responded to Aonung with a whoop. Aonung's lips pulled up into a smile. He could feel the wind beating down onto him from the Ikran, and then it vanished. The feeling was now next to him. They flew side by side. Aonung never turned his head to look at the rider. They approached the beach. Aonung's Skimwing fluttered downward into the water, approaching the beach. There, he saw a young boy. He was a vibrant shade of blue. His curls cascaded down his shoulders. His eyes were a deep yellow, and he had a strong, thick tail. Aonung dismounted his Skimwing, running a hand along its long jaw. On the beach, the Ikran landed. Aonung approached the boy, squatting down in front of him. He cupped his face, smiling.

"I'm glad your back, dad!" the boy chirped, falling into Aonung for a hug. His arms wrapped instinctively around the boy. From behind him, a hand was placed on Aonung's shoulder. He turned his head, to be met with piercing yellow eyes.

Aonung's eyes shot open, a gasp escaping his lips. Light shined through the pod's entrance, illuminating the area. He glanced around, by the fire, a tray was set up. Upon it say different colors of pastes. His body would be adorned with these paints tomorrow for his iknimaya. He hopped off of his hammock, walking to the entrance of the mauri. On the beach stood the whole clan. In the distance, he could see a large wave heading towards the cove. They're here! He began to run across the membrane walkway, jumping onto the beach. He lengthened his stride, before quickly slowing down so he wouldn't run into someone. Many Metkayina cheered, diving into the water. Aonung stopped next to Lo'ak, punching his shoulder lightly.

"Payakan won't be here, will he?" he only spoke to Lo'ak to tick him off.

"No," the boy gritted his teeth, before diving into the water himself. Aonung was the last to do so. He dove in, the cold water cooling his hot skin. He held his arms out in front of himself, propelling himself with his thick tail. He beat through the water, making his way to the edge of the sea wall. He watched the Tulkun gracefully swim into the bay. He grinned as he spotted Näkmay. He was easily one of the biggest males of the herd, and the one of the oldest. As he swam past the sea wall, Aonung whooped, diving under. She swam to where the massive whale settled, positioning himself next the whale's head.

"Spirit brother, I am happy to see you," Aonung signed, reaching his hand out to rest it on the whale's vast skin.

"Greetings, Aonung." Näkmay responded.

"How have you been, Näk?" Aonung treaded the water, flipping his thick tail back and forth ever so often.

"Good, I can feel my age getting to me, though."

Aonung frowned, his ears pressing to his head, "You don't look a day over 100, brother!"

"And you as young as you did when I met you," Näkmay beat at the water with his fin, sending a current of water towards Aonung. The boy was caught off guard, being swept away. He flipped in the water, letting it push him. He chuckled, swimming back to Näkmay.

"I have something I want you to advise me on," Aonung was nervous.

"Go ahead, young one," Näkmay stared deeply at him.

Aonung sighed internally, "I think I am infatuated with someone, a forbidden love."

Näkmay clicked, "You are destined for someone, if you truly think they are the one, then there is nothing forbidden about it."

"It is a boy," Aonung decided to get to the point.

"Eywa loves all, so why does it matter who you love?" Näkmay's eyes softened.

"I am to be the next Olo'eyktan," Aonung turned his head, looking anywhere other than Näkmay.

"If you are worried that I don't want to be your spirit brother anymore, don't be. I just care about you being happy. If he makes you happy, then so be it." Näkmay's words touched Aonung. He turned back to the Tuluk, smiling.

As the day rolled on, Aonung noticed that Kiri and Rotxo were hanging out together with Rotxo's spirit sister. He smirked, silently cheering him on. He spent the rest of the day with Näkmay, talking about their lives since they last saw each other.