XIV

Aonung veered to the left, panting. He crashed through the dense underbrush of the forest by the village to try and loose Neteyam. His large structure, and thick tail only slowed him down. Branches slapped him in the face, scraping at his arms. It pulled at his skin, leaving marks. Behind him, he could hear Neteyam catching up. The boy's leaner, lithe figure made moving through the brush second nature. Aonung approached a large tree where the roots stuck up, creating a small divot underneath. He dove towards it, scrambling inside. He held his breath, listening to the Omatikaya following his trail. Soon, Neteyam came into the clearing. He slowed to a walk, glancing around. He began moving past the tree, but stopped. He turned to the tree, striding towards it. Aonung pressed his back into the trunk, silently screaming in his head. Neteyam disappeared past the tree, and Aonung let out a sigh soon after. That's all Neteyam needed to hear. He bolted around the tree, blocking Aonung in under the roots. Aonung shouted, flailing his feet at Neteyam.

"Dude, chill out!" Neteyam lifted his hands, backing away slowly to show he meant no harm. Aonung was uncomfortable, but sat up. He had gouges on his back from pressing hard against the bark. It was like sandpaper against him. "I don't care that you came and sat with me, you were really the only one who was consistent. My family came and sat with me, yeah, but none of my friends."

"I'm not a friend," Aonung stared daggers at Neteyam in the low light. An expression flashed across the other boy's face, but it disappeared too fast for Aonung to recognize it.

"Closest thing to one, Aonung," Neteyam leaned his body against the root, staring at Aonung. The Metkayina balled his hands up in his lap.

"What exactly did you hear?"

"All the conversations you had with me, you changed my bandages, redid my hair," Neteyam twirled a braid between his fingers, "and that talk you had with Kiri." He dropped his hands to his sides, bending down. He slipped under the roots of the tree, sitting down in front of Aonung. "You never answered her question though?"

"What question?" Aonung stared into the fired yellow eyes across from him.

"Why did you sit with me, you aren't my friend? It wasn't out of pity, I know that much." Neteyam placed his chin on his palm, resting his elbow on his folded knee. "Do you like me, Aonung?"

The Metkayina adverted his gaze, but was pulled back by Neteyam.

"Do you?" Neteyam held his chin in place, so he couldn't look away. A blush spread across his cheeks. That was enough for the Omatikaya. Neteyam leaned in, catching the other boy's lips with his own. Aonung was taken aback. Neteyam's lips were smooth and soft, something he didn't expect. Aonung kissed the other boy back, lifting a hand to place it on Neteyam's chest. He moved the hand downward, wrapping it around his waist. He pulled Neteyam closer, lacing his free hand through the boy's braids. Neteyam placed himself on the other boy's lap, swishing his tail quickly. Aonung was the one to pull back, suddenly frightened by the whole situation. His eyes were wide with shock.

"I guess I do like you... A lot" Aonung said breathlessly, dropping his hand from the back of the boy's head. Neteyam smiled widely, resting his head on Aonung's shoulder.

"Y'know, I always thought you were cute," Neteyam buried his face into the crook of Aonung's neck.

Aonung blushed once more, "I never thought of you this way," he gestured between the two of them, "until you got hurt. I was worried about someone for once."

"While I was in that state, I really started liking you for how caring you were. You were always there for me, you showed a side I had never seen before."

"I don't show it often, that's for sure," Aonung chuckled. Neteyam scooted back to his spot in front of Aonung. He hesitatingly pecked the Metkayina's lips,

Aonung smiled, taking Neteyam's hand, "But know this, I will always be there for you."

Neteyam nodded, taking his hand. He led him out of the root system, "I have someone to show you."