XVIII

Raäea rolled as Neteyam clung onto her. Adrenaline pumped through his veins. He whooped loudly, causing the female Ikran to descend at rapid speeds. He was accompanied by Lo'ak, who had Tsireya wrapped around his waist. He could hear her scream as Lo'ak followed after his brother. Neteyam's Ikran angled upward quickly as they approached the water. Her wing tips dug into the surface of the water. Neteyam was expecting them to crash into it, but they didn't. Raäea's strong wings lifted them up quickly, steadying them above the water. Neteyam glanced over the side of the Ikran, staring down into the water. Splashes of colors sped past them as they continued on, back towards the village. On the beach stood Kiri. Raäea landed gracefully next to her, cooing. Kiri ran her hand along the length of the Ikran's neck, stopping once she was next to Neteyam. He helped him slide down. The area in which he was shot had begun to ache, hence him needing a little help.

"Aonung has been asking for you," Kiri snickered. She was the only one who knew about their little relationship, if you could call it that. Neither of the boys had dared to ask the other out, for unknown reasons. Neteyam smacked Kiri, who returned the favor.

"Don't be so loud," Neteyam hissed, glancing around. A little ways away Tsireya scrambled from her place on the back of Lo'ak's Ikran. She huffed loudly, grasping at the sand beneath her feet.

"Don't be so dramatic!" Kiri swished her tail, earning a giggle from Neteyam. "Go on, now, before they notice you've snuck off."

Neteyam nodded, thanking Kiri. He darted down the beach at full speed, the ache in his chest swelling. He ignored it as he rounded the corner out of sight. As soon as he knew the coast was clear, he slowed to a trot, chest heaving heavily. The temperature was slowly dropping day by day, a sign winter was approaching. The reef clans were far closer to the snowy areas of Pandora, which inevitably invited cold in easier. It would soon be cold enough that they would have to wear thicker, more covering garb. At night, you could see your breath in front of you. In a week's time, the water would be cold enough that you could only bare it for up to 30 minutes before having to get out.

Neteyam moved into the tree line that ran along the beach. He soon made his way into a clearing, like the same one Aonung met Raäea in. At the center of it was Aonung, who stood with a crutch. His leg was getting stronger, he could bare weight on it for standing, but not moving. The fracture was thought to be minuscule, but seemed to be worse than anticipated.

Beneath Aonung's feet was a mat covered in platters of food. Neteyam blushed slightly, pushing a braid from his face. He approached Aonung, standing in front of him. The other boy reached out, running his hand along Neteyam's waist. He grasped it lightly, pulling the shorter boy into him. He kissed him deeply, but it was short. Neteyam smiled at him.

"Surprise," Aonung let his hand fall from the boy's waist, gesturing down at the picnic he had set up.

"How did you do this?"

"Kiri helped me," he smirked, slowly lowering himself to the ground. He placed his crutch to his side, patting the soft, lush grass. Neteyam slid down next to him, eyeing the food. He had grown to love the islander's cuisine, it was far different than something he would have had back with the Omatikaya clan. His eyes landed on a certain dish. Berries scattered the leaf, and in the center was teylu, which squirmed and wriggled around. Neteyam gasped, bringing the leaf to his lap. He picked one up, inspecting it.

"How did you get these?" his eyes lit up.

Aonung looked pleased with himself, "Kiri told me where to find them, took me a while."

Neteyam wanted to cry, he missed home, and this was something that brought back those memories. He brought one to his mouth, sinking his teeth into it. Juice spewing from the Teylu, coating his mouth. He smiled, pulling the grub away.

"I'm not even mad these aren't cooked," Neteyam grinned.

"They're supposed to be cooked?" Aonung's eyes widened.

"You didn't know that?" Neteyam bursted into laughter, which was soon followed by the laughter of Aonung. "You're something else."

"Kiri left that part out, I guess," he rubbed his neck.

"Thank you, it is perfect either way," Neteyam pecked his lips, smiling.