VII

He continued to eat the array of food on the leaf. The sound of the water meeting the beach and the rustling of the mangrove trees nearby calmed Aonung. He looked around the room. The Sully family sat nearest to his family, which were obscured by the large bonfire in the center. Tuk sat between Neytiri's legs, eating small berries while the Omatikaya woman fixed her daughter's braid.

Aonung didn't realize how hungry he was until now. He devoured the rest of his food, leaning back on the palms of his hands. Beside him, Rotxo continued to eat slowly.

"Dude, I could eat a whole net of fish," Aonung whined, flipping his head to the side to look at the other boy.

"I would imagine so, skxqwng," Rotxo chuckled, "You are never at dinner." Aonung rolled his eyes breathing in deeply. His lungs filled, puffing his chest out. He finally exhaled, sitting forward.

"I'm gonna go take a leak," Aonung spoke quickly, another lie.

"Okay, catch you later," he smiled at Aonung. Aonung did the same back, standing. He cracked his back loudly before leaving the warm pod.

Outside, the salty smell of the ocean filled his nose. He loved the smell, more than anything. The moon cast light across the water. It was truly a beautiful sight. He jogged down the beach, his powerful tail swinging. Aonung veered from his path, sand underneath his feet turning to woven membrane. He trotted quickly, looking forward to his time in the medical mauri. He rounded the corner, slowing. Something is different. This time, the entrance way wasn't covered with the webbed membrane. It was wide open. He cautiously scanned around the pod before stepping in. He sighed, relieved. No one is here. He turned, dropping the flap over the door. He then moved to the window, letting that one fall into place as well. Aonung ran his hand across his face, placing himself by Neteyam like he always did. He let his hand fall from his face to lay on top of Neteyam's crossed ones. Neteyam's hands laid on his chest, folded across each other. He glanced up at the boy's face, the glowing freckles mesmerizing him.

And then something that happened to make his body go rigid.

"I knew you were the one coming here every night," a female voice cut through the silence. Aonung's eyes went wide, and he began to tremble slightly. He snatched his had away quickly, coming face to face with an Omatikaya.

Kiri, "Please don't say anything," Aonung never begged before in his life, but he didn't want his reputation ruined. No one could know he was visiting Neteyam. Kiri rolled her eyes, strolling over to the boy on the ground. She crouched down on his other side, staring directly in Aonung's eyes.

"You care about him, don't you?" Aonung nodded quickly, not thinking about it. He had never thought about it before, but there was his answer. "Then I have no reason to tell anyone." She smiled, allowing herself to sit cross legged.

"Thank you," he relaxed slightly, keeping his eyes on her.

"I do have one question, however," she leaned across Neteyam, stroking the comatose boy's face lovingly. "You weren't his friend, so why now?"

Aonung sat still, turning to look at the sleeping boy, "I don't know."

"Is it guilt? Is it admiration? Or... have you grown a liking towards him?" Kiri stopped stroking Neteyam's face, making eye contact with Aonung. His eyes flicked down when she spoke the last words, she smirked. "Must be the last part, if you can't look at me after I said it."

"Definitely not," Nope, me, into guys? Especially an outsider? He couldn't help the dark rouge spreading across his cheeks. He stared at the palms of his hands.

"Tsk," Kiri clicked her mouth, standing. "I will leave you to your thoughts, and this stays between us," she patted him on the shoulder as she strode towards the entrance. She pushed aside the membrane, exiting. The membrane flowed back to its original position, leaving Aonung to his thoughts.

There is no way, he screamed in his mind. He was spiraling mentally. Can't be, he grabbed a hold of Neteyam's hand, lacing his fingers with the boy's limp ones. His skin felt as if it was on fire, sparks erupted in his chest. He watched Neteyam's face. Underneath his eyelids, his eyes moved around rapidly. Aonung gasped, yanking his hand from the other boy's. The rapid eye movement from Neteyam ceased, causing Aonung to sigh deeply. He allowed himself to fall backward into a laying position, his forearm shielding his eyes.

He began to laugh wildly, increasing in volume. From under his forearm, a tear slipped down his face. There could be no denying what just happened between him and the comatosed boy, that feeling.