IX

It was time for the Tulkun to leave, which left a hole in many Metkayinas' hearts. It was sad, but they would soon be back. Aonung watched them depart the cove from the sea wall. He stood atop it, a light breeze flowing past him. Lined up with him was the rest of the clan. Tonwari was comforting Ronal, who cried. She still mourned the death of her spirit sister. Tonwari had a hand placed on Aonung's shoulder. Lo'ak stood with Tysirea, hands intertwined. Aonung yearned for the oldest Sully boy to be there with him, as Lo'ak was with Tysirea. The herd of Tulkun slowly faded into the horizon, and immediately a somber feeling washed over the clan, Aonung could feel it. Without words, many of the people standing on the sea wall leapt into the water, beginning to swim back to shore. Aonung followed suit.

After everyone dispersed from the beach, Aonung crept towards the medical pod. He leapt up onto the woven membrane, running his hand along the wall of the pod before rounding the corner inside. He untied the rolled flap, allowing it to fall. Aonung stood at the entrance, leaned against a mangrove trunk. In the center was Neteyam. Aonung's breathing quickened as he walked to the boy's side, finding a seat on the stool his mother would use to tend to him. Aonung reached down, running his hand over the boy's cheek.

He retracted his hand, placing it balled up in his lap, "I am not looking forward to acting as if none of this happened once you wake." Aonung grasped Neteyam's hand, leaning down. He placed his lips on the boy's knuckles.

"I would like to continue this, but I know you hate me for leaving your brother in the reef. You never cast your gaze towards me, anyhow," Aonung leaned so he was hovering his head above Neteyam's. He gazed at his face, wishing those bright yellow eyes were staring back at him. He placed the boy's hand over his heart, leaving it there.

Aonung sighed, moving back to his sitting position, "I have my iknimaya tomorrow, if I fail I may as well be banished."

Aonung glanced over the boy in front of him, "I wish you would just wake up, your whole family is depressing to look at," he chuckled, rubbing his face. Tired was an understatement, the Metkayina felt utterly exhausted. He needed to rest for the next day. Aonung slid his hand down, grasping a strand of Neteyam's hair that was coming loose. He gingerly laced his arm under the boy's back, picking him up. Aonung scooted so Neteyam was laying in his lap. He unwinded the braid, continuing onto the others.

"Your hair was looking shabby," he clicked his tongue, humming softly as he messed with the boy's braids. Once he got them all undone, he began the meticulous process of braiding them, but he didn't mind. Once Neteyam awoke, he wouldn't be able to do things like this anymore. As he braided, the admired the boy's face.

Once finished, he tucked a braid behind Neteyam's ear. He smiled, cupping the boy's cheek quietly. Aonung slid him off of his lap, placing him back in the position he was before. He lifted the boy's head, placing a pillow under it.

He grinned, "Hopefully those braids are good enough for you." He got to his feet, knees popping. He groaned, a wave of exhaustion washing over him. He staggered towards the entrance of the mauri, pushing the membrane aside. It was pitch black outside, the sounds of waves hitting the beach being the only distinct thing.

"Goodnight, Neteyam," he spoke quietly. Aonung slid out of the pod, his tail swishing behind him. If he had looked back, he would have saw the slight movement of the comatosed boy's hand.

———————

Sorry for the short chapter, the next one will be all about his iknimaya, so it will be long.