IV

There was a slight breeze as he walked. It was quiet, the only sound heard was from the ocean. As he walked down the elevated walkway, it dipped with his weight. He passed multiple mauris of different sizes. Inside were many families from the Metkayina clan. As he approached the medical mauri, he listened intently. He rounded the corner, as if he was walking past it. He slowed, glancing into the window. Coast is clear. He hopped through the window like he did the night before, sealing it off with the flap. He slowly approached the comatosed boy, sitting cross-legged next to him. His eyes scanned the boy. His bandage had pinpoints of blood. Might as well change it. He pushed himself off the ground, trudging over to a small stand, where bandages and a salve made from flowers and sea beings sat. He picked up the bandages and salve. He made his way back to Neteyam, sitting the bandages down. He carefully cradled the boy's head, lifting his back off the ground. With Neteyam in one arm, he began to unwrap the old bandage. As he got through the layers, the blood spots did not get larger. He unwinded the last layer, gently peeling it from the Omatikaya skin. He tossed the old bandage to the side and picked the salve up. He shifted the boy in his arm, staring down at his chest. It rose and fell slowly. He finally noticed the wound. It was a small spot, positioned below his left lung. The edges of it were crusted over, but it was stitched up.

He sighed, "I hope this doesn't hurt you, man." He took the salve from the ground, scooping a small amount out. Gently, he dabbed it on the stitches. He watched the boy's chest again for any sign of pain in his breathing. Once finished, he began to wrap the new bandage around his lower torso. He wrapped it around a couple times, securely tying it at the bottom of his ribs. He slid his hand up, resting it where his heart was. It beat steadily, and he was happy about it.
He let his hand linger there.

"All fixed up," he stared down at the boy, moving him back onto his mat. Aonung returned the salve back to the tray, sitting back by Neteyam.

"I lied to Rotxo, I told him I liked a girl named Íhia. I just said that to get him to leave me alone," he sighed. I don't need to justify it to him.

"Lo'ak and Tsireya are going to preform tsaheylu before eywa, but they want to wait till you are better," he smiled softly. He never let anyone see this side of him, only Tsireya. Since Neteyam was in a coma though, he could speak freely.

"She asked me when I was going to find a mate. Even I don't know the answer to that, no one has interested me," he chuckled, watching the boy's chest rise and fall. "I bet you get all the ladies, handsome and all." He stopped. Did I really just call him handsome? He moved his eyes from his chest to his face. He couldn't deny he was handsome. Any Metkayina woman would swoon for him, he had exotic looks they weren't used to. He stood, moving towards the window. He peaked out of the flap, it was jet black outside.

"I better get going," he spoke softly, before pushing aside the flap. He hopped out, taking the used bandages with him.

Once he got to his family's mauri, he crept in, sliding into his hammock. He tucked the used bandage under himself. He would dispose of it later. He stared into the darkness for a moment. Then, he closed his eyes.

He was running down a beach, laughing wildly.
"Good luck catching me!"

"Oh I will catch you, don't you worry!" a voice called back. It wasn't distinguishable from male or female. "When I do, you're gonna get it!"

Aonung continued to run. His hair was flipping wildly. It was in a half up, half down style. He slowed down, turning to look behind him. There was no one. Before he could turn around, he was tackled. The navi sat, straddling him. Before he could register, their lips were pressed against his. He cupped their face, pulling them down closer. He pulled away, but they were blurry. He couldn't make out who it was, but he had a deep feeling of recognition.

"I love you, dumbass."

——————

Just for context, the last bit was a dream.