XXIII

The pair flew forever in silence, it only to be broken as the sun began to rise.

"Beautiful..." Neteyam turned his gaze from in front of him to the horizon.

"Mhm," Aonung had his face buried into Neteyam's back. The morning air stung against his skin.

"What was that, Aonung?" Neteyam finally asked what he had been thinking about since they left.

"What was what?" he was acting dumb, he knew exactly what Neteyam was asking him.

"Back there, making us leave like that," he sighed, looking back ahead of him.

"I was promised to be Olo'eyktan since I was little, and father just stripped my title away like that. No need for us there, he obviously doesn't need me there." Aonung sighed, turning his head where only his cheek rested on Neteyam's shoulder. He couldn't feel his legs anymore.

"Do you really want to be Olo'eyktan?"

"Yes! Why wouldn't I?" Neteyam didn't answer, they fell in a tense silence as the continued to fly on.

—————

Neteyam shook Aonung awake. Large floating islands were situated around them. Räaea flew with new stamina, beating her wings stronger than before. Ikran all around unlatched from the sides of the islands, swooping down behind them.

"Don't worry, they are fine," Neteyam assured, "Welcome to the Hallelujah Mountains." Aonung looked around astonished, large vines hung from the islands, connecting them like a network. Water rushed from the cliffs, tumbling down into the misty haze below. They had to be thousands of yards from ground level, you couldn't even see the tops of trees from where they were.

Aonung didn't know it, but Neteyam was fighting his inner self since they had left. He didn't want to leave, simple as that. He was drug along without consent, without the knowledge that they wouldn't be returning. However, that was exactly what Aonung was planning. Räaea swooped up into a cavern in an island, revealing a village hidden away by rock. Almost 100 Ikran sat on the ledge that overlooked the cutout in the rock, seemingly ready to swoop out at any moment. Their wings rose in alarm, shrill shrieks echoing throughout the cave. Räaea landed quickly, hissing at an Ikran that got too close to her. She unfurled her wings, spreading them to make herself seem larger. Neteyam soothed her, sliding down off her back.

Mo'at rushed forward, barring her teeth, until she recognized the boy on the Ikran. She was followed by a flood of people, who stood closely behind her.

"Neteyam, what are you doing here?" She clutched his shoulder as he helped Aonung off, who stumbled. He straightened his legs like boards, scared to move, because he would fall over.

"It is a long story, mom and dad are okay." He smiled at her, welcoming her embrace.

"So all is fine?" She gestured with her hands, eyeing Aonung.

"Sort of," he chuckled, following her as she led him away, leaving Aonung standing. Behind him, a child picked up his tail, letting it fall heavily to the ground.

He swung around, causing himself to fall flat on his butt. "Your tail is weird!" It was a young girl, she giggled, before scurrying away.