VI

Aonung stood, staring at his reflection in the water. He imagined himself as the Olo'eyktan. Tattoos swirled across his body, reaching towards his face. He was taller, more masculine. He zoned out, staring into the water. He snapped out of his thoughts when something nudged his leg. He looked down, the dark orbs of Eytu staring back at him. He smiled, reaching his hand out. Eytu clicked excitedly. Aonung ram his hand down the Ilu's neck, grabbing the Ilu's tendril. He pulled the long braid from the back of his head, attaching their queues. He grinned, slinging himself onto Eytu's back. Eytu was one of the largest, and fastest Ilu's he had ever seen.

"It is an honor to ride you," he looked at Eytu, who clicked. "Let's go." They turned, the Ilu's strong fine propelling them forward quickly. Down. Eytu dove, Aonung took a breath of air before they went under. He could hold his breath up to 15 minutes if he really had to. Eytu sailed through the water, his fins beating every once in a while. All Aonung wanted to do was go on a leisure ride to admire the ocean. It was one of his favorite things to do. He caught himself wishing that Neteyam was there experiencing this with him. Corals of all shapes and sizes grew denser as he went farther away from shore. Schools of fish swam by, swirling around his head as well. He looked around, smiling. He was at peace here, away from the stress of the clan.
They arrived at his small sanctuary. From the outside, it just looked like a rock. Eytu dove through the underwater cavern, the winding cave illuminated with bioluminescence coral and organisms. Finally, the Ilu entered a lagoon, where he surfaced. He paddled to the shore, allowing Aonung to dismount. The cave was illuminated by a hole in the ceiling. Vines cascaded down, streams of light flickering across the walls. He sat, falling backwards onto the cold floor. It felt like ice against his skin, but he didn't care. He needed to be away for a little bit. The coming of age ceremony was a big deal, if he failed, he would fail the clan. If he failed, the clan would think he wasn't fit to be the next Olo'eyktan. His friends would ignore him, he wouldn't be fit to be called a Metkayina anymore. It was the biggest disgrace a Metkayina could face.

"I have to do this," he sat up, punching the cold wall of the cave. It stung, but not enough. He punched again, until his knuckles were a light purple. Tomorrow, the Tulkun would arrive back to the bay. The day after, they would leave. His trial would begin then. He would have to preform tsaheylu with a Skimwing. Those ferocious beasts. A bite from one could sever your arm. He would only have two changes to bond with one before he failed.

He stayed at his small secluded spot what felt like forever. When it was time to head back, Eytu knew. He swam up to where the water met rock. Aonung hopped on gracefully, smiling. He had a lot of time to think, and that's just what he needed. Without signaling, the Ilu dove under the water, his powerful fins propelling them to his fastest speed. He winded through the underwater cave, bioluminescent algae and creatures lit the way, like big neon arrows. He placed his hand on his knife, which was strapped to his thigh. It was made from the tooth of a Akula. Hung around his neck was the same type of tooth. You wore them with pride after killing one, it was a status symbol in the Metkayina clan.

When they emerged from the depths of the ocean, the sun was setting. The pink and purple hue shone on his skin. A grin emerged on his face. Aonung fluttered his eyes closed, soaking in the sounds of the ocean.

Eytu made their journey back quick, it felt as if they had just left Aonung's secret area. He sighed, opening his eyes. They sat about 20 feet from the shore. Aonung slid off of Eytu, running his hand up his neck and he waded through the water.

"Thank you," he smiled softly. Eytu chirped, spinning around. He  descended under the water as Aonung walked away, heading towards the beach.

His eyes scanned up from the water, and there stood someone on the beach. His breath hitched, but then he let out a sigh of relief. It was Emmai, her lithe figure bathed in the colors of the sunset. She really does look a lot like Neteyam.

"Where have you been, handsome?" she approached him, placing a hand on his arm lightly.

"Just hunting, didn't find anything though," the lie slipped out of his mouth quickly. She stared at him for a moment, nodding. Her hand ran down his arm, grabbing his own. He allowed her to pull him towards the cluster of pods near the left edge of the village. She jogged in front of him, her braids whipping in the wind. Aonung followed suit, their hands connected. They entered the largest pod, one they used for events. It was well lit, a large fire built in the middle. Around the fire sat most of the clan. Near the end, was his family. Eemai pulled him towards them. He could feel many Metkayina eyes boring into him. He gulped as his father turned to look at them, then their hands.

"Well, son, who is this beautiful young lady?" Tonwari smiled. Aonung released the girl's hand quickly. He knew she wouldn't be his mate, he didn't need them thinking that either. I don't need to be leading her on like this, either. He plastered a fake smile on his face, moving his hand onto her shoulder.

"Why don't we sit down?" he spoke to Eemai, motioning for her to sit next to Tysirea. His sister shot daggers at him before chatting with Eemai. He didn't care what they were talking about, so he blocked them out. Aonung chose to sit next to Rotxo, at the other end of the fire. He was out of sight from Eemai and the rest of them.

"Why don't you want to sit next to Eemai?" Rotxo stared at him with a weird look.

"Dude..." Aonung rubbed his face, "I don't like her like that. At best she is a friend."

"Oh, don't play her dude, she's a good person," Rotxo rubbed his shoulder.

Aonung changed the subject, "You never told me who you like," he smirked.

Rotxo blushed, turning to look at the fire. "Look, the food is here."

A leaf of food was sat in front Aonung by a young girl. He nodded, thanking her. Rotxo stuffed his face with the blackened fish, "Dude you can't eat so you can ignore the question."

Rotxo stopped chewing, "Fine," he moved his head close to Aonung's ear, "Your mom."

Aonung punched him, hissing playfully, "For real, dude."

"Okay, okay," he moved close again, "Kiri."

Aonung's jaw dropped, eyes widening. Rotxo pushed his jaw up, blushing furiously.

"Are you being serious?" Aonung spoke softly, Rotxo nodded. The heat from his face radiated off of him. Aonung was shocked, but didn't question it. He grabbed a piece of squid from his leaf plate, popping it in his mouth.