XXII

Aonung raced down the beach, with his sister. She followed closely behind, as she was always a tad bit slower. They figured this out from the countless races they would have as kids. Aonung slid in the sand, loosing his footing as he rounded a corner. They were close to the cove now. He quickly tried to regain his footing, watching as Tysirea rushed past him. He barreled after her, slowing down as she stood near the water's edge. He peaked over her shoulder, watching as his mother emerged from the depths, cradling a small blue figure in her arms. The sun was setting behind her, casting a shadow over her body. Tonowari followed her closely, leading her slowly out of the water. The pair stayed back, leaving space for her as she slumped down onto a mat her husband had laid out. Tysirea and Aonung kept their distance, waiting for something to be said to them.

Ronal stared down at the baby in her arms, smiling down at it sweetly. Tonowari glanced up at his children, motioning for them to come over. Aonung slowly walked closer, crouching next to his mother. She looked up, her face riddled with the expression of tiredness.

A small smile graced her lips, her voice coming out in a whisper, "This is your new brother, Täeyem." Tysirea gasped, holding her hand out. The newly born baby wrapped his hand around her finger instinctively, cooing. Aonung watched has he nuzzled against their mother's chest.

"The celebration of life will be tonight," Tonowari cupped his mate's face, kissing her forehead.

—————

Aonung sat in the village meeting area with the rest of the clan.

"So it is a boy?" Neteyam grinned, sitting in front of his mate. Their hands were clasped together, between the two of them.

"Yes, I finally have a little brother."

"Did Tysirea want a sister?"

"Oh yes, she definitely did," he cackled, glancing around the mauri. The room fell silent as Tsireya entered, followed by Tonowari. He lead his mate in, who seemed weaker than normal. She cradled the baby in her arms. She wore longer garb, which drug the ground. She would wear this for a few weeks to aid in healing. From what Tysirea said earlier, the labor was intense, and Täeyem was bigger than her other children. Tonowari helped Ronal to the ground, near her family. He took the newborn from her hands, stroking his forehead. He smiled before turning, making his way to the middle of the room. He held the small newborn in the air, grinning.

"Täeyem te Tonowari'itan, your future Olo'eyktan!"
Tonowari roared, instead of cheers, there was silence. Many gasps were heard washing over the crowd. Aonung was stunned. He stood instantly, a numb feeling washing over him. He grabbed Neteyam by the wrist, pulling him with him as he made his way out of the mauri.

"What are you doing?" Neteyam gasped.

"Leaving," he gritted his teeth. He could hear the screams of his sister behind him.

They stumbled out onto the beach, "Call for Räaea."

Neteyam rose his hand to his mouth, letting out a high pitched whistled. A shrill shriek made Aonung's eyes dart up into the pitch black sky. The large Ikran swooped down, throwing sand up as she landed. Neteyam pulled himself onto her back, connecting their queues. Aonung wasn't afraid this time. He clambered onto her back, placing his hand on Neteyam's waist. The other boy signaled the Ikran to fly. Behind them, the Sully family ran out into the beach, Neytiri wailing loudly. Ronal was with them as well, a look of disbelief on her face. Räaea lifted of, beating her strong wings. The navi below jolted back. As the village below them disappeared into a dusty haze, a tear slipped down each boys' face, for different reasons.