-- Chapter 7 --

I'm going to stop always starting off like this, I promise!! But I hope you are enjoying!! 1-21-2023

You had no urge to capture the look of the building. You bet you could search it up, and there'd be multiple photos of what you were seeing right now. You hate making stuck up people with fancy things feel even better about themselves by making them feel like their home is a museum. Yet, Libby had no problem with that.

"Mademoiselle. . ." Xander side-stepped to block one of Libby's shots. "May I ask: what are your feelings on roller coasters?"

"This place has a roller coaster?!" Libby exclaimed.

"Not exactly." Xander said, before running off with Libby. Avery told you she needed to find the bathroom. And just like that, you were alone with Grayson.

If you could ignore his presence, you would, but you couldn't. A noise from Grayson made your attention go from the walls to him. You had caught him more intrigued by you, than everything else.

"What are you looking at?" You narrowed you eyes, thinking he'd say something smart again.

"Nothing... It's just that you have a very interesting face." He said, like he wanted you to wonder what he meant by that.

"Have you been staring at me, Hawthrone?" You teased, trying to make him look into your eyes again.

Like he was trying to avoid your question, he decided to speak about something else.

"I apologize for Xander." He commented. "He tends not to buy into such antiquated notions as thinking before one speaks and sitting still for more than three consecutive seconds." He looked down. "He's the best of us, even on his worst days."

"Ms. Ortega said there were 4 of you." Since you had only seen two so far. You knew Xander was like a ball of sunshine, and Grayson was cold. Maybe, if to your luck, Grayson's brother's wouldn't be as strange as Grayson. "I mean, 4 grandsons."

"I have 3 brothers." Grayson told you, "Same mother, different father. Our aunt, Zara, doesn't have any children." He tilted his body, and looked behind you. "And on the topic of my relations, I feel as though I should issue a second apology, in advance."

You were about to ask him what he meant, before a welcoming voice spoke first.

"Gray, darling!" A woman, who you guessed was Grayson's family member, came up to you both. "They're ready for us in the Great Room." She told him. "Or they will be shortly. Where's you brother?"

"Specificity, Mother."

The woman rolled her eyes. "Don't you mother me, Grayson Hawthrone." She turned to you. "You'd think he was born wearing that suit, but Gray was my little streaker. A real free spirit. We couldn't keep clothes on him at all, really, until he was four. Frankly, I didn't even try."

Now that, is hilarious. To imagine, a serious guy like him as a naked child running around. You couldn't help but laugh behind your hand. You glances at Grayson, who was probably embarrassed from his mother oversharing things to strangers.

"You must be that boy Gray told me about. The persistent one."

"His name is y/n, mother." Grayson said before you, like it was some race.

The woman sighed but also smiled. " I always swore my children would call me by my first name. I'd raise equals, you know? But then, I always imagined having girls. Four boys later..."

Grayson's mom was nothing like her son, not aloof in the slightest. But it kind of made sense.

"Do you mind if I ask, dear, when is your birthday?" She then placed her hand on your cheek. "Scorpio? Or Capricorn? Not a Pisces, clearly-"

"Mother." he quickly corrected himself, "Skye."

"Grayson's a good boy." She whispered to you. "Too good." She then winked at you. "We'll talk."

"I doubt this boy plans to stay long enough for a fireside chat--- or a tarot card reading." A second woman, older and wearing tighter clothes, inserted herself into the conversation.

"I'm Zara Hawthrone-Calligaris." She stared at you for a good 5 seconds. What is with this family and eye contact? It's like they're trying to break you down from the inside. Definitely not like Grayson's stare, alright.

"May I ask, why you are here? You don't look like an, Avery Grambs." As if that didn't make you feel out of place.

"You are correct, ma'am, I'm not. I am simply here for her. You know, emotional support in a way." You felt being a little bit more formal around her.

"Well, we appreciate that she came." She flatly replied.

"Zara." A man with slicked-back hair interrupted, "Mr. Ortega would like to have a word."

"My sister 'has words' with people" Skye commented, "I have conversations. Lovely conversations. Quite frankly, that's how I ended up with four sons. Wonderful, intimate conversations with four fascinating men..."

"I will pay you to stop right there." Grayson said with a pained expression on his face. You'd pay her to continue if you could, just for the fun of it.

"Bribe, threaten. Buy out. You couldn't be more Hawthrone, darling, if you tried" She gave you a smile. "That's why we call him the heir apparent."

Despite the woman trying to make the atmosphere of the room less pressuring, it felt off being there. It was Avery supposed to be having chats with these people, not you.

"Now" Skye said putting Grayson's and your hand together. "Why don't we make our way to the Great Room?"

You'd even pray for Avery to come back at this point.

"Skye, we aren't children. This is unnecessary." Grayson complained, clearly also against the idea of holding hands with you.

"Oh, what's the harm. He likes it." Skye pointed the palm of her hand to you, like she was telling a secret to her son.

Grayson eyes turned to you with a suspicious glare.

"It's just very hot in here." You confirmed before he could make any assumptions. It was not a good that you palm was sweating too.

"Then you should've given me your coat." He commented.

"Shut up."

Alrighty, finished another, LETS HEAR A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR ME. anyways, HAVE A GOOD NIGHT / GOOD MORNING / GOOD EVENING / GOOD AFTERNOON ladies [?] And gentlemen <3