-- Chapter 15 --

Date posted: 1-22-2023

"Welcome home, Avery." Alisa presented the place, walking you all inside.

Avery was astonished, you? Not so much. You just found it all over the top. Alisa went on about the different rooms. You wonder... Would you be able to trash Grayson's room? Nah, he probably stays in there all day unless he has too. You may have been about to sneak around, but never have you once thought you'd try to do it in a mansion.

Suddenly, an unknown voice said something about foods. You turned and saw an old couple, who you hadn't recognized. 

"The Laughlins, Y/n." Avery whispered to you, which you responded with a nod.

"Mr. Hawthrone was a very private man." Mrs. Laughlin eyed Avery. "He made due with my cooking most days, because he didn't like  having anymore outsiders-" She then looked at you. "- poking around in the house than necessary."

Of course they still all considered you more of an outsider than Avery.

"There are dozens of staff of retainer." Alisa explained. "They all receive a full-time wage, but work on call."

"If something needs doing, there's someone to do it." Mr. Laughlin spoke. "and I see that it's done in the most discreet fashion possible. More often than not, you won't even know they're there."

"But I will." Oren stated. "Movement on and off the estate is strictly tracked, and no one makes it past the gates without a deep background check."

How much did they find out about you? If they looked into your story, which they probably did. You were surprised they didn't even stop you when you first arrived. But there's no point in considering the past or past actions. You were there now, and kind of stuck there as well.

Alisa continued being you and Avery's tour guide around. Most of the things you heard was equal to what you'd find in a nearby mall or plaza, not in a home. And thinking about how much better quality the places were too. You pieced together that even the family here probably haven't been to every single place in this house.

The sound of a door opened drew your eyes to a guy you've seen once.

"Motorcycle boy." Libby whispered.

"Who?" You squinted your eyes.

"Nash." Avery answered for Libby. You nodded.

Alisa stiffened like something was off putting for her now. "If everything's in order here, I should check in with the firm." She reached in her pocket and pulled out two phones. "I programmed in my number, Mr. Laughlin's, and Oren's. If you two need anything, call."

She left without saying another word to anyone. Seems she wanted to get out of there, fast.

"You be careful with that one." Mr. Laughlin advised the eldest Hawthorne brother once Alisa walked out of the door. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

"What?" You said in confusion.

You got the memo that Alisa and Nash had some history. No one acted like that with someone you didn't have something with once upon a time. She did advise you guys to not fall for a Hawthrone.

"Don't go convincing yourself Lee-lee is consortin' with the enemy." Nash told Mr. Laughlin. "Avery isn't anyone's enemy. There are no enemies here. This is what he wanted."

Nash's attention then went to Libby when she spoke out, noticing her black eye. They were chatting with each other until Oren instructed her to following him. You could see the way Nash was looking at her when she left.

"Don't you do anything." You warned him, putting up a tough look.

"And leave her alone." Avery added.

"You two are protective," Nash commented. "and y'all seem like y'all would fight dirty, and if there's one thing I respect, it's those particular traits in common."

If that was what everyone respected, everyone would treat you wonderfully. You didn't mind getting your hands dirty for those close to you.

There was a crash and thud in the distance, that make your head snap in that direction.

"That." Nash said with a small pause. "would be the reason I came back and am not living a pleasantly nomadic existence as we speak."

Another thud.

Nash rolled his eyes. "This will be fun," He began striding toward a nearby hall. "You might as well tag along, kid. You know what they say about baptisms and fire."

Anyways , HAVE A GOOD NIGHT/ GOOD MORNING/ GOOD EVENING/ GOOD AFTERNOON!! Ladies [?] And gentlemen <3