-- Chapter 12 --

Man, I'm very hungry rn. 1-22-2023

"Mother-faxing elf," Max breathed,"Goat-dram, mother-faxing elf." It was currently midnight for you and 10 pm for her. Avery and you were sitting on her room's balcony together and on a call with Max. You always found it funny hearing Max's replacements for curse words. Even if there was no way Max's parents would hear, she never used the actual curses.

"How?" Max demanded. "Why?"

We were all silent, Avery couldn't come up with an answer and neither could you. Avery, ever since two days ago, always seemed to have something on her mind. Yet, she'd never tell you. 

"Maybe," Max said, "you were switched at birth."

She has got to stop watching those movies.

"Really, Maxine, really?" You questioned her guess.

"Hear me out, maybe your mother," She said, already being able to tell that you guys knew she was going to make up some far-fetched theory in your eyes. "Saved his life, years ago. Maybe he owns his entire fortune to your great-great-grandfather. Maybe you were selected via an advanced computer algorithm that is poised to developed artificial intelligence any day!"

"Out of all the things you've said in your life, that one makes the most sense." You crossed your arms.

"Maybe my father isn't really my father." Avery wondered out loud.

That wouldn't be a shame if that were to be true. You never really liked that man, even though you rarely saw him. Maybe that was one of the facts you didn't like him.

"You okay?" Max asked on the other end of the line.

"Tobias Hawthorne left me a letter."

"And you haven't opened it yet?!" Max and you exclaimed. You looked down at the envelope in Avery's hands.

You could feel Max's shock. "Avery, for fox-sakes---"

"Maxine!" You could hear her mom over the phone. She had probably gotten caught saying a pretend curse word.

"I'll say it for her, for fucks-sake-" You began.

Max interrupted you. "Avery? Y/n? I have to go." 

"Talk soon?" Avery asked with a small look of worry in her eyes.

Max promised, "Very soon. And in the meantime: Open. The. Letter."

She then hung up, now staring at the letter in her hand. 

"I agree with max. Why haven't you opened it yet?" You tilted your head. You thought she had opened earlier. It bugged you on why you didn't ask sooner.

Avery didn't say anything, but only stood up and walked back inside. You tagged along closing the door behind you.

"Avery?" Avery didn't respond.

The quiet moment was broken by a knock, with Oren at the door.

"Mr. L/n, I'm afraid I'm going to ask you to go to your room. Safety protocol. "

Safety protocol? Never heard of it. You were going to argue with Oren that it made no sense, but it seemed that Avery wanted to be alone. Her not answering to you at all, was enough to give you the hint.

"Fine." You muttered under your breath. "I can't believe this." You added, wanting Avery to know that you didn't mind sticking beside her.

You walked to the door and waved goodbye to her. You were walking down the hallway, wondering what you could do in this situation. But then you saw a familiar face and suit.

"Grayson, what are you doing here?" You stopped in your tracks.

"I could ask you the same thing." 

"I'm her friend. I can be here, now it's your turn to answer." 

"That is none of your concern." 

None of your concern? Did any of those people in this building spend years with Avery? Did any of them watch out for her before now? Of course it was your concern. 

"It is my concern. And Avery wants to be alone." She didn't even seem to want to be with you at the moment, so why would she be fine with him?

"I was checked by security. I am no threat." His cold gaze fell upon you.

"To them, sure, but they don't know what they're talking about, so-"

He sighed impatiently. "I don't have time for this."

As he was trying to walk past you, you grasped his tie. "Then make time."

He pushed your shoulder to the wall and stepped closer, keeping any movement from you by pinning his hand right next to your head.

"Don't get in my way, Y/n L/n. My business is with Ms. Grambs, and Ms. Grambs only." He moved even closer with each word. Face to face. You crossed your arms and turned you head to the left. You then noticed a woman at the end of the hall, imposingly a cleaning lady.

You confused look was enough to send the woman in an instant.

Grayson quickly got off of you, dusting off his shirt. "I hope I never see you again."

"At least, that's something we can agree on." You said to yourself.

You opened your mouth, about go object Grayson visiting Avery. Until-

"Don't bother." His back facing towards you, as he eyed you from over his shoulder.

"Jerk." You muttered under your breath. Even you knew when to back down.

He gave you one last look before turning away,and entering Avery's door.

You casually walked down the hall, sliding behind the corner. You leaned against the wall, ready to wait for as long as you had to.

--- short time skip ---

You heard footsteps, like they were catching themselves from a fall and you knew it had to be Grayson. You unhid yourself from behind the corner, putting your hands in your pockets. You two's eyes met each other in an instant as Grayson began walking down the hall in your direction.

"I told you she wanted to be alone." You reminded him, as he was about to fully pass you.

He halted. "It is no matter. I got my point through."

Grayson stayed for a minute or two, letting you wonder what he meant by that. Looking at you one more time, the boy finally passed by you.

--- bonus ---

Avery's pov

Grayson was at the door. He look like he hasn't slept. But also someone messed him up. His tie was partially undone.

"Wha-"

"Dont."

It was Y/n's doing, alright.

Anyways, HAVE A GOOD NIGHT/ GOOD MORNING/ GOOD EVENING/ GOOD AFTERNOON!! Ladies [?] And gentlemen <3