-- Chapter 29 --

Date posted: 2-4-2023

You were only able to change out of that uniform and lay on your bed for a second before knowing you wouldn't be able to sleep. You texted Avery asking if it was cool if you hung around her room for a bit which she said was fine.

When you arrived at Avery's room, you saw Libby setting electronics on Avery's desk.

"Damn, you've been splurging." You said, slightly closing Avery's door. Avery waved to you, as Libby showed you the things she bought.

"New laptop. A tablet." Libby set down each one. "An e-reader, loaded with romance novels, in case of Avery needs some escapism."

"Look around this place. "Avery's eyes looked around her room. "My life is escapism at the moment."

Libby smiled. "Have you two seen the gym?" Her tone proving she has at least. "Or the chef's kitchen?"

"I heard that they got all kinds of desserts." You fell onto Avery's bed on your back.

"Not yet." Avery answered Libby, gazing at the fire place.

"Ave, y/n. I have something to show you." Libby flipped open the cover of the new tablet. "Just for the record, it's okay if you want to yell."

"Why would we want to--" You stopped talking when you saw Drake on the screen. He was next to a reporter and the title said 'friend of the grambs family.'

"Avery was a loner,. Drake sounded all melancholy. Such an actor. "she didn't have any friends."

You rolled your eyes. "Do I just not exist anymore?'

"I'm not saying she was a bad person. I think she was just kind of desperate for attention. She wanted to matter. A girl like that, a rich old man..." He trailed off. "Let's just say that there were definite daddy issues.

"That's fucking gross." You muttered.

Libby paused the video.

"Can I see that?" You asked before Libby handed you the device.

"That's the worst of it." Libby assured you, hoping that would make the situation better by a bit. "Would you or Avery like to yell now?"

"Not this time." You said, not looking up from the screen. You looked through the multiple videos, until you saw one with Zara and Skye. "Guys." You called Avery and Libby.

"Our father was a great man." Zara's face was stoic. "He was a revolutionary entrepreneur, a once-in-a-generation philanthropist, and a man who valued family above all else." She took Skye's hand. "As we grieve his passing, rest assured that we will not see his life's work die with him. The Hawthrone Foundation will continue operations. My father's numerous investments will undergo no immediate changes. While we cannot comment on tue complex legalities of the current situation, I can assure you that we are working with the authorities, elder-abuse specialists, and a team of medical and legal professionals to get to the bottom of this situation."

Skye's eyes were brimmed with perfectly even tears. Guess this family was into performing arts.

"Our father was our hero," Zara declared. "We will not allow him, in death, to become a victim. To that end, we are providing the press with the results of a genetic test that proves conclusively that , contrary to the libelous reports  and speculation circulating in the tabloids, Avery Grambs is not the result of infidelity on the part of our fathers who was faithful to his beloved wife, our mother, for the entirety of the marriage. We as a family are bewildered at recent events as all of you, but genes don't lie. Whatever else this girl may be, she is not a Hawthrone."

"Elder-abuse specialists?" Libby was dumbfounded.

"And the authorites." Avery added. "Plus a team of medical specialists."

"The fact she actually believes youd assult some old man is crazy." You handed the device back to Libby.

"She doesn't get to do that." Libby said just as pissed as you were.

You agreed "She can't just say whatever she wants. Call Alisa. You have lawyers!" You remembered.

Avery didn't say anything.

"Avery?" You tilted you head.

"I'll call Alisa tomorrow. Right now, I'm going to bed."

"You got it, Ave." You nodded.

Libby placed her hand on Avery's head. "We'll get out of your hair."

You stood up, and left Avery for her own thoughts as company. You laid down, this time in your own bed, and turned on your phone. The light almost burned your eyes off. You looked through more videos. Most of them were about Avery, but you wanted to see what people thought of you.

And maybe Grayson took down that photo. A quick search wouldn't hurt. There were surprisingly there were lots of videos of you. But luckily no photo of you and Grayson. So he did keep his word.

You tapped on one with your past classmate.

"You know, y/n and I, were close." Said the guy  "But ever since his little girlfriend got money, he began ignoring us. Like we dont even matter anymore."

You scrolled.

Another one of your classmates. "Y/n if you see this. I will find you-"

Creepy, scrolled.

"We cannot believe our beloved, dear son, would ever ignore us." It was a woman's voice, she didn't deserve to be called mom.

"As my wife said, we raised him, cared for him, and bought everything for him."

Says the guy who forgot your birthday.

"We just want him to talk with us again, like family." The woman began crying.

"What a bitch." You uttered. She never did anything when you were sad. She never did anything for your at all. Lies, all lies. "We are only connected by blood." You shut off your phone.

*plays outro music*