-- Chapter 21 --

Just doing some editings guys ;p

____________________________________________________________________

While you were walking around the halls or the home, you saw Avery walking out in an school uniform made up of burgundy blazer and a pleated skirt. She looked so mature in it. She seemed to already have the looks of a kid who's lived with money their whole life.

"So going to school, Ave?" You caught up with her as she was going down the stairs.

"Yeah, hopefully it's not the same from our old school." You both shuddered at the memories there.

"... you know, I'm starting to miss that old man, Harry." You commented, looking up and around. You never really talked to him that much since he was occupied playing chess with Avery whenever you were around.

But you did remember how he mentioned he liked your enthusiasm and determination towards what you loved or appreciated. You mightve been a little busy eating your unfinished breakfast, but you could recall that much.

"You know." You looked at Avery. "You should've told me sooner about what Gray said." You crossed your arms.

Avery felt bad for not telling you beforehand. She knew she should've. It wasn’t like you were going to blame her for something she couldn't control or predict.

"I wasn't sure. You might've just exploded." She hid her smile with her hand.

"Now I wouldn't say 'exploded'." You snickered as you two reached the bottom of the stairs, though a part of you knew she was a little right.

"Yeah sure." She gently pushed you.

"Man, can't believe you still have to go to school." You scratch your head. It wouldn't be good if Avery was just sheltered in her room forever.

"Yeah, but it's a RICH kid school, you know?" She said as if she wasn't rich now herself.

You shrugged. "Doesn't mean the kids are any better."

You knew there'd never be a school where everything's peaceful and everyone could go with their day not worrying about their appearance or fighting some other student. Now, you weren't a student like Avery, but you'd never be associated with THOSE people...

Before you knew it, you and Avery had already left the house, and entered the car. If you didn't know any better, you would've said the white SUV with heavily tinted windows was extremely sketchy. Back home, there was no telling what the purpose of the vehicle was for.

Suddenly, the car door in the back opened. And you saw Jameson in a uniform similar to Avery's.

Jameson sat beside Avery on her right, wihile you were on her left. "You read my letter." He told Avery.

"Xander need a ride?" Oren looked at Jameson by the small mirror as he sat in the driver's seat.

"Xan goes to school early on Fridays." Jameson answered. "Extracurricular activities."

"You okay with company?" Oren turned the rear view mirror to Avery.

She hesitated. "It's fine."

As if, that small hesitation from Avery was enough to tell you something was wrong. Something happened, and you needed to know what it was. You discretely eyed Jameson before leaning back into your seat.

"I doubt I have to remind, Y/n, but-" Oren started the engine, now looking at Jameson.

"If there's an incident-" Oren began saying.

"-You save Avery first." Jameson finished the sentence.

Oren already knew you'd sacrifice your life for Avery. If you didn't, now that would surprise him.

"Grandfather always said Hawthrone males have nine lives. I can't have possibly have burned through more than five of mine."

Hm, thinking the Hawthrone brothers as cats would be funny. As Oren exited the gates, you saw a sea of people. Way more than the amount of paparazzi at the hotel. It almost felt like an apocalypse. They had all been there for a view of the brand new billionaire.

"Hey, y/n." Jameson leaned forward like he was checking if it was really you.

"What is it?" You looked away from the window.

"Aren't you already Grayson's age? You shouldn't be going to school, right? Plus, you're not wearing the uniform." Despite his normal question, his face was like he was solving a great mystery.

"Im one year younger, but i'm just there for Avery." You didn't explain it any further. You didn't need to anyways.

"Just don't make a scene, y/n." Avery sighed. She was already imagining what you'd be like in a different school, let alone one where you aren't even in any of the school's programs.

"I won't, Avery." You sighed back. "I'll be in the shadows. You won't even know I'm there." You gave her an overconfident smile.

"Anyways." You took out your phone and headphones. "I sont be listening. So you two just take about whatever." But you'd be watching, even while enjoying your music.

You saw some letter exchange, and some sort of deep discussion that you'd probably make fun of by calling them nerds.

Avery tapped your shoulder after a little while, you turned ofv your phone to see Oren drove you all to the school, which looked more like a museum to be honest.

All you heard from Oren when you put away your headphones was something about Avery not being allowed to leave the campus, and that Oren would be nearby.

"I probably can't leave unless if I get a ride, right?" You asked.

"Would you rather walk back?" Jameson managed to answer before Oren. You just took it as a yes.

"I hate to puzzle and run mystery girl..." Jameson's hand already prepared to open the door before it even came to a stop."but the last thing you need on your first day at this school is for anyone see you getting cozy with me."

And with that Jameson was gone in a second, leaving you and Avery wondering what he meant.

"Anyways... I'll leave first, Avery. That way I don't attract attention to you." You said getting back Avery's attention from her worries.

"I think I'll stand out either way." Her head pointed down a bit.

"Trust me, Ave." You placed your hand on her head. "You're gonna blend in just find." At least, she didn't look weird in the uniform.

"Thanks, Y/n." She said, feeling more comfortable going out there. She was still shaken by the thought of being a non-rich kid hide in a crowd of privliged people, but she took a deep breath, and stepped out of the car.

"See you later, Avery." You waved, knowing she didn't hear you.

____________________________________________________________________

Rewriting stuff is so fun.