The Weasley's

Trigger warning: self harm desired and discussed

After school I was reading on my bed. For the same reason I dreaded this time of year this morning, it had to be the best time of the school year after school was out for the day. I literally had nothing to do but read for myself and wait for Hunter to be done with volleyball practice.

My mom opened my bedroom door, "We're home."

"Oh hey!" I sat up. I had to figure out a way to bring up Grad Night, "How was your weekend?"

"It was so great. We took Meg's kids to the zoo and the beach and got ice cream."

"Sounds great." I smiled dully. The voice in my head (which sounds a bit like Hunter's now) reminded me none of that had ever been done for me.

"Is that a squishmallow?" My mom asked, pointing to the corner of my bed.

I glanced over at my narwhal. "I think so. My boyfriend got it for me."

"Boyfriend?" Mom exclaimed, "Charles, get in here."

Dad came into the doorway, "Why?"

"Kate has a boyfriend." She informed him.

He shook his head, "You're too young for a boyfriend."

"But I'm eighteen." I replied.

They exchanged looks, "You only turned eighteen recently." Dad countered.

"And he only became my boyfriend recently." I retorted.

He shook his finger at me, "Better stop with the sass, little girl. You're not too old for a spanking."

It was nearly the exact say words. Almost identical.  But from one person it felt like a rejection and the other playful caring banter.

I just shut my mouth and looked down. There was no way I would get the money for Grad Night now.

"What do you want me to do?" Dad asked Mom.

"Nothing. I guess she is eighteen." Mom shrugged and my dad left.  She turned back to me, "You know Brinley collects squishmallows."

"Oh really? I'll have to get her one for her birthday."

"Just give her that one. She doesn't have any that big." Mom point to my narwhal.

"But it's mine."

"You're eighteen. Why would you need a stuffed toy?"

"Well," I started, "I don't need it but -"

"Great! Then you can give it to Brinley next time you see her." And with that she left, shutting my door with a slam.

The trembling started and my breathing hitched. I fell out of bed onto my knees, reaching under my bed. But I nearly forgot. The object I was looking for wasn't there.  My breath hitched again and I felt like I couldn't get any oxygen in. I reached for my phone and called Hunter.  He answered after the first ring.

"Hey baby girl! I was just about to call you, practice just got out."

I breathed heavily into the phone, trying to form words.

"Baby? Are you okay?"

"My parents just got home." I finally whispered through shallow breaths.

"What happened?" He growled

"I just. I can't. I- I- " a sob broke through, "I need my knife." I whimpered.

"No, you don't, baby. I'm already on my way. Daddy's coming, okay?" He reassured, "Are you somewhere safe."