Finger and Thumb

"Kate! Get in here!" Mom screams from the kitchen.

I sigh, exiting my room to join her in the kitchen.

"What's up?" I ask, looking around and trying to guess why she was so upset. They had found something to be upset about every day this week.

Saturday was because I wasn't home when they got home. I tried to tell them I didn't know when they would be coming home but that didn't matter. Sunday was because the laundry hadn't been done. Monday I didn't get out chicken to thaw before I left for school. Tuesday I had left the light on in the bathroom before I left for school which apparently was going to wreck havoc on the power bill. Wednesday my dad had stormed into my room demanding to know what I had done with one of his shirts. I told him I had hung it up in the laundry room to dry. He had grabbed me by my arm and dragged me to the laundry room telling me to find it. I pointed to it on the rod and he screamed at him for hiding it from him. I wondered what today's infraction would be.

Mom pointed at a bowl and spoon in the sink, "How hard is it to put it in the dishwasher? You know I hate dishes being left in the sink."

I sighed again, "It's not mine. I haven't eaten here today."

"Bullshit!" She screams in my face, "This is clearly your breakfast dishes. I heard you this morning, it woke me up."

"That's not possible. I had breakfast in the car with Hunter."

Hunter had picked me up this morning bearing smoothies and muffins. I had been forbidden from going out with him every day and we were doing our best to make the mornings and school days last.

"You have become such a little bitch since you started dating that boy. You never used to talk back." She seethed

"I'm not talking back. I'm just telling you why your assumption was wrong."

"If the first words out of your mouth aren't yes ma'am and how high ma'am, you are talking back!"

Now Dad enters the scene. He wraps his hand around the back of my neck and forces me to the sink.

"Wash them now." He orders, squeezing my neck once before letting go.

I wash the two dishes, putting them in the dish washer.

"Was that so hard for the lazy little princess?" Mom taunts me.

"Is there anything else?" I ask, hoping I can just retreat back to my room.

"Oh, shut up. It's not like you do anything. " She looks at my dad, "How did I fail so much with this one? I try to be a good mom but I raised this lazy, disrespectful bitch."

Dad pulls her into a hug, "It's not your fault, Hun. There is only so much we can do as her parents." He glares at me, "Now look what you did."

"I'm sorry!" I feel tears streaming down my face, "You are a good mom. Please don't cry."

I reach to hug her but my dad pushes me away.

"You've done enough. Just get out of our sight."

I wipe the tears away as I return to my room. My fault, my fault. If I was better, this wouldn't happen. I know my parents triggers and I have just slacked off. I'll check the sink as soon as I get home tomorrow. I'll get out meat to thaw without being asked. I'll make sure the laundry gets put away as soon as it's dry. I'll do better tomorrow and they will see.

I find phone and a notification brightens the screen.

Daddy: I miss you. Can I come over? Can you come over?

I type out a response.

Me: I'm in trouble again. Better not.

Daddy: This is getting ridiculous. What happened this time?