Chapter II

Three days had gone by. For the first couple, I wrestled with who was going to contact who first before deciding to just let it happen naturally. I wasn't going to stress and worry over any further. Since I worked full time making nearly 30 an hour as a concierge manager in the downtown area of Chicago, I had to stop, and take stock of a potentially busy start of the day. There were 3 vans parked out front. All of them from 4 Seasons heating and air conditioning.

I stopped long enough to get a photo and made sure to get all three of them in the same shot. It was now or never. I started to type out a caption before hitting send to Maverick.

It looks like we're missing a season. Chicago, please make up your damned mind.

I included an upside down smiley face. Then I put my phone back in my front pocket. I kept up a good pace before letting myself in the glass front doors. The building I worked in was a high rise mixed with apartment complexes and office's. A lot of different people came and went. From wealthy to middle class mostly. It was pretty upscale with marble countertops and flooring. There were modern day light fixtures with very up to date technology systems.

After a quick meet and greet with the woman I was relieving her of duty, clocking in and getting ready for a busy morning, I heard my phone chime from my pocket. I just wasn't able to read it right away. There indeed were a few problems that had developed overnight. I had to man the desk while talking with all three of the heating and air conditioning employees.

It was maybe an hour later when I was able to finally check my phone.

Maverick: Seriously. It's like we get almost 3 months of Summer with at least a couple weeks of Fall or Spring and then 9 months of winter.

Before I could respond, that's when things got really busy. The morning had officially started and that meant there were a lot of people to talk to. Most of the time, I didn't mind but my lunch break couldn't come fast enough.

When I finally got my lunch break. I hid in a corner of a windowless break room. With a smile I could not control, I saw Maverick had responded again.

Maverick: Dinner this Friday evening? I hear there's this new Thai restaurant that just opened up. We can go something else if you'd prefer. Strictly as friends of course.

Smooth, Maverick. That was really smooth. He even added a winky face at the end. I responded, while taking note that his last message had been sent nearly 45 minutes ago.

Sure! Just as long as I get to pay for myself.

It would take Maverick 2 minutes to respond.

Maverick: But of course! However we're 100% getting some Sonic after. I could use a good frostie as a treat after. I plan to ask for extra whip cream and an extra cherry on top.

I couldn't help but do a quick sweep to make sure that the room was empty before chuckling to myself, thankful.

I sent a quick response. We'll see about that.

He was almost as quick. Never underestimate my scheming ability.

I was floored by that statement. There was even a moment of hesitation and anxiety of what I had gotten myself into. I wasn't the type to internet stalk. I was a bit too old school for that. I would however make plans to seek out Kyra or Thom. Kyra was roommates with that girl Wren. Surely they still talked if Kyra invited her to her birthday party. As for Thom, well he was what I considered as my genius friend. Thom knew a lot of different people and he was great at reading people. If there were any red flags, he would smell it miles away.