Chapter XXV

The first day of summer was also the longest day of the year. My heart felt lighter too. We rented bikes even though we didn't have to and went back to the navy pier. Our first mission was to get on the Centennial. Granted, I thought it would've been more romantic at night but who was I to complain? I had obtained what I thought was unobtainable.

I thought my heart was empty and void of being able to love another. It was the kind of love that ran deeper and stronger. In a way that I did not think was possible a human being could. Sometimes it hurts.

Having a kiss while at the top did not happen. That felt like it would've been too forced. Besides, I knew there would be plenty of more kisses happening down below.

We met up with Kyra, which led us to meet up with Lulu. Apparently those two had the day planned out for us. We found ourselves at Six Flags. Maverick and I got on all the worst rides. Kyra was the only smart one. Lulu ended up throwing up and I was kind of grateful that it was not me.

Maverick and I went on a ride that took you up to the top before dropping. That left Kyra to take care of Lulu. Maverick and I held hands just as the ground rushed up to greet us.

That was how much of our summer went. Things would happen spontaneously rather than planned. Like when we drove down to the south suburbs because Thom had mentioned an ice cream place that served a Titanic split. Thom just happened to text me about a couple of pizza places we could also try out. One for the food and the other option for the ambiance. Maverick wanted the former.

It felt like we were in the waiting room but at least the food was good.

It was July when Maverick got a text.

"How do you feel like going to a wedding later today?" He had just returned from the kitchen area. I was on his couch. The television was off and we were just sitting together, kind of watching the sky since it was about midday and listening to the air conditioner. It wasn't quite hot out but the sun sure was.

Maverick had also brought me a mug of raspberry tea. I took it gently from his hands and tried not to drop it. "What?" I was also trying not to jump to any conclusions.

Maverick sort of had this impish grin on his face as he sat on the opposite end of the couch from me. His arms were stretched out along the headrest section. "Wren is getting married today." He stretched his legs out across my lap too.

"Huh?" The rim of the cup was near my lips.

"I know right? She and I were fuck buddies and then all of a sudden there's a ring and now a wedding. It won't be anything major. We don't have to dress up fancy. It's going to be in a courtroom."

My brain was trying to keep up. I mostly spoke my thoughts out loud. "I don't know why, but I feel like I'm forgetting something." When did this happen? How did it happen? Do I need to know any of those reasons?

"You think it's possible?" I could tell Maverick was doing a little talking-out-loud too. "To suddenly meet your person? They say don't go looking for love because love will find you."

"I wish there was a definitive answer for that." I gave myself some time to think. "But honestly I do not know." A pause. "They also say you shouldn't worry about trying to find it in your 20's. Maybe you could play the field, at least until you make it to your 30's. Something like that."

Maverick was still looking at me. I could see him from my peripherals. I sort of wish I had thought of better words, but truthfully, there was so much that I did not know.

"Sooo," Maverick drew out the vowel a bit and it was enough to drag me out of my thoughts, "do you wanna?" I just nodded, unable to completely pull myself out of my head. It felt like it was going in too many directions. They were mostly just random thoughts about how life worked. Mostly, I wonder, followed by whatever came next.