Chapter VII

Nearly a week went by and there wasn't a day that I didn't get a text from Maverick. There were usually memes or short videos. Sometimes I'd take pictures of myself at the front desk looking bored because things were slow, but I'd also point out how grateful I was to still have a job. He talked briefly about how he used to work at Burger King and I told him how I used to work at a sandwich making shop.

His last message was just a picture. He went to The Firm for his newfound cheesecake addiction. Originally I was going to order it and have some delivered to him. I knew where Mason worked.

I got a text from Thom asking if I could meet him at his favorite coffee shop. I told him that I'd meet up with him after I got off work. For whatever the reason, my stomach dropped. I couldn't explain why.

When my shift ended and Thom came down to meet me at the lobby. His carefree expression gave nothing away, and so I wrote it off. We covered the basics of catch up. He told me his mom had moved out of the family home. He also asked something unsurprising.

"How are things with Maverick?"

"They're good." I was hesitant about saying too much. I knew I could confide in him about anything. "He does make me worry about him sometimes. I can't really explain it."

Thom just kept walking. I couldn't read his expression very clearly. I could tell there was something weighing on his mind though. I was about to press but we sort of had to jog because the wind was extra chilly again. We spent most of the way taking random but short sprint bursts before making it to our destination.

It was one of those very modernized yet cozy coffee shops. There was a mostly white cat with a brown face named Chai that the customers could pet. She loved Thom best. So after we took our orders and sat, Chai hopped up on his lap.

I couldn't help but laugh lightly at this. He kind of reminded me of a villain. The way he smiled like he was some kind of mastermind. Which he kinda was. Like his plans of taking over the world were drawing near. I wouldn't be surprised if they were. He just stroked the cat as he thought, whatever it was that he was thinking.

I had tea while he had his usual expresso. The man would drink caffeine, day or night. It did not matter. He kept classy though and did not guzzle like I just did.

I was on the brink of assuming this was just another session of friends hanging out when he spoke. "Look, I've been debating all day about this. I've stumbled across some information and you know this isn't the type of information I'd keep from you." I found myself holding my breath. My face and body was frozen. I was trying to brace myself for the worst, but what would that be?

"Ok, I'm not getting the vibe that someone died."

"No." He shook his head briefly, his expression serious and almost grim. "We already know Maverick," and there it was, my stomach dropped, "has a bit of a questionable past. I know you're getting close. I know there's still a lot you don't know about each other. I also know you haven't known each other for very long." He looked like he was starting to regret having brought this up at all. He put his head down some.

Chai was purring, I found myself reaching over to pet her. Which was surprising. She normally did not let anyone touch her once Thom had her. Only Avery though.

"So what happened?" I found air to breathe again.

"Mason has already sent out cease and desist letters. You'll have a hard time finding them but this is still the internet. You know how the internet is." His elbows were on the table which was also very out of character for him. "There are videos of Maverick engaging in sexual activity." Then he searched my face. I mean he really searched my face.