Chapter III

When my shift ended, I took the elevator straight up to the penthouse. Thom lived there with Ryker and Avery. It was Friday and while we usually spent movie night together with loads of snacks (coffee for Thom), Avery was out of town. Ryker would likely be late.

With a slightly heavy heart, my mind was still processing yesterday. I kept thinking of all the possible scenarios, but each one only ended up making me kind of sad. Normally I would talk to my best friend. After all, we might as well be blood brothers. I felt like I could talk to him about anything.

I let myself in and loosened my tie. I was suddenly getting a flash of Maverick as he loosened his tie. I ended up removing my tie completely. Thom could be heard in the kitchen, which wasn't hard to find. I could smell popcorn and I knew he would already be adding some M&M's to it.

I went straight into things, which is part of why my heart felt a little heavy. "What do you know about Maverick?" I asked this just as I turned the corner into the broad and very modernized kitchen.

Thom was used to me getting straight to the point about things. "Rumors mostly but that's inconsequential. However, I do not think he's someone you should be around. Least of all, in your current state of mind." He gave me a very pointed look.

I took it all in, not taking it personally and absorbed the facts. "Yeah, you know I'm not ready for anything serious."

"I'm just saying, with the rumors I have heard about. He's actually a pretty likable guy. He's the kind of guy easy to get attached to. He may have unintentionally left behind a trail of broken hearts." This is why I trusted Thom. Thom wasn't the judgmental type. He had to have a pretty good reason to.

I sat on a stool that was directly across the counter from Thom as he started up the keurig machine. He already had an array of snacks to pick from. Small and sliced cheese with round crackers. There was pepperoni too. If that wouldn't cut it, there was pull and peel twizzlers. Next to the tray was practically a basket of full sized candy bars. A couple of small bowls that had either caramel corn or cheese popcorn. Thom rarely held back when it came to movie night. I was sure a pizza was in the oven but set to warm.

I was starting to help myself to a little this and that when he spoke again. "I know how lame it's going to sound, but I'll say it anyway. I just don't want you getting hurt." He gave me a look that suggested that I look into his eyes, and I did. "He's not a bad guy. I just don't think someone like that would be good for you."

"You know I don't get attached easily."

"I do."

"But what if hypothetically, it already happened?"

Thom went still. "You're a grown ass man. I can't tell you what to feel, but I will always provide a shoulder to cry on. It's Ryker that scares me though. I wouldn't put it past that sexy Aussie husband of mine to do something. As for Avery, well, we're the only few people on this planet that knows he's got a dark side. Not even Ryker and I truly know what he's capable of. But I do know he might be a bit more protective of you than I could ever be. That's saying something."

I was picking apart a twizzler with my fingertips. "Is there anything I should probably know about?"

"Like what?"

"Like why he's here in Chicago." I would have given more details. I was curious.

"Hmm. I think that's something you should ask him for yourself, because oddly enough, I don't even know. He could be under a new alias hiding from an estranged lover for all I know. Just please promise me Brayden, try not to let yourself get attached. Ok?"

I thought about it and realized that I probably shouldn't make any promises. "Hey, what do you think about having a get together sometime in the near future?" Thom smiled gently but it fell after what I said next. "Mav and I were talking about getting our friends and we could all do something together."