Chapter XVI

Dating again was awful. I found this out fast. Thom helped find something effective, which was speed dating. Only this type of dating was unique. It consisted of a 6 course meal. Each new course and that brought on a new date.

The first wasn't so bad but the guy brought his mother. His mother, and she wasn't sitting at the table with us. She was sort of off to the side, in the crowd of some onlookers. We waved over at each other too. She looked like she couldn't have been prouder.

When I found out that he was only 18, I gave him a little leeway. However there would not be another date.

The soup came next and so did the next guy. Right away, I think we both knew that we were not it for each other. He politely complimented the soup and thanked the woman who brought it to us. He honestly reminded me a bit too much of Thom and he told me that I reminded him too much of his younger brother. That was how we knew that it wasn't going to work.

The appetizer was far more appetizing than the man right in front of me. He sweated a lot and even though I did my best to help calm his nerves, he practically ran from the table. This caused several onlookers to look at me as if I were the one who had done something. So yeah, the appetizer was way more interesting than it should've been.

When the salad came, I was already feeling burnt out from this. There was still the main course and dessert to go. I was shocked to see a familiar face.

"Andrew." I smiled in relief. I started to stand up as he came to stand before me so we could hug briefly. "I had no idea you were going to be here." I also doubted Thom would've known too, but I also wouldn't have put it past him. This is sort of the thing he would have done. He knew my type and Andrew was pretty much up there.

"I'm shocked to see you here too." He said once he sat back down. I also sensed that he held back on a follow up statement. He had that glance-down-and-then-glance-back-up look. I could have easily questioned what was really on his mind but I already knew.

"I don't want to lose him." This time it was me holding back. The reason was pretty simple, I barely knew this guy.

Andrew had both of his arms on the table with his palms facing up. "Do you want to get out of here?"

I know I shouldn't have assumed, but my ears likely turned red from how uneasy it suddenly made me feel. I was at a visceral disposition. "I could be wrong here but I do want to make it clear that I'm not a one night stand kind of guy."

"What? Oh my god no-" he stuttered a few more times. "Sorry, I think the food went down the wrong pipe." And there it was again, he was holding back.

"Then if I may, I'll say it for you. Maverick and I don't make any sense. We want very different things and yet we remain friends." Regretfully so. "I won't be a martyr here. I already have said some things I wish I never had."

"Maybe you're both a bit more alike than you think."

Now it was time for me to put on the big boy pants. I needed to admit what I had been feeling for the past few months. It has helped me in the past. Sometimes talking to a complete stranger helps. Usually within an hour every week or so but this was obviously different. "I'm even going to outright say what I'm sure you already knew." With an almost shuddering breath, I said, "I have this stupid mega crush on Maverick."

Andrew's face was guarded. He stayed quiet and I think that was what I needed. Validation for myself. "I don't think I ever said that out loud to anyone yet. I guess you can consider yourself lucky." Then I took a bite of my salad.

Andrew just studied me for a moment longer before saying, "I guess," and then, "I just meant we get out of this obvious trainwreck and go somewhere... but as friends."