Chapter XV

It was becoming harder and harder to visualize a life without Maverick. I craved his company. The drive went exactly as I had planned. I let Maverick control the radio which consisted of the 80's. He half his head out of the window with his arms on the window sill. His curls performed a violent dance in the wind and it was fascinating to watch.

Apparently, my idea was proving to work because at that moment, it looked as though he had forgotten all of his problems. The car got a little chilly and so I turned the heat on anyway. Maverick noticed this and I could see the question in his eyes before he asked, "Should I roll the window back up."

"No." I left it at that. As impractical as it would be to others, it was practical enough for me. I was willing to let him be himself.

Maverick was hesitant but with the firm look I gave him, he went right back to what he was doing. I kept driving and took in the awe of Chicago as night started to fall. It was almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Even though I'd lived a few years here, I'd just never get over how beautiful it was.

"When I first came here, looking up at the buildings used to freak me out." Maverick said.

"Same here. My palms would sweat a lot." We were on lakeshore drive but I was looking for the right exit. This wasn't the only part of the plan.

"It's fascinating at how much humanity has accomplished. To put up something like that." When he noticed I was getting off the highway. "What're you planning?"

"Aren't you hungry? I figure with how crazy things are getting for you, you might've forgotten to eat." Actually, I had inquired with Thom first and he gave me the nudge to call Mason myself. Maverick had been forgetting.

"Don't be embarrassed," I said, noting the way Maverick looked away. "Thom used to forget all the time. This is nothing new to me. I'm taking you for some fat juicy burgers. Thom recommended it to me over a week ago, and whenever Thom recommends something, you'd better follow through."

It was a drive-in kind of joint. Someone would come out and take the order before bringing it to us. It wasn't a new service by any means but the food was 5 star tier. Maverick tore into his burger like his life depended on it. When he was done, we both just sat in silence for a bit. Since it wasn't a busy night, there was only the sound of the highway and the gentle buzz of the lights above us.

"You know, honestly," Maverick began, "It's moments like this that I look forward to. Just the quiet with some good company." I might've stiffened myself a little, and because of that I had to shift my body to make myself relax again. It came as no surprise, Maverick noticed this. I felt him look at me before he shifted in his seat to face me better.

"Do you think either of us will ever grow out of our shit?"

"What do you mean?" I wasn't playing dumb, but I was sort of scared to know.

"Me with my commitment issues and you nursing a broken heart."

To anyone else, that might've been offensive but to me, it was thought provoking. I tried to side step that. "This is again why I enjoy these one on one conversations with you. You just up and say something thought provoking and it makes me look at things in a different perspective." He raised his brows ever so slightly. He saw a side step when he saw it.

I found myself back pedaling a little. "Honestly, I hope so." I had to resist the urge to grab at my elbows as if I needed to hold myself physically together. "You'd think I would have by now but..." I shut my mouth just before saying too much.

"But you don't think that I might?"

I gave him a look that he hit the final nail on the coffin there. He caught it of course and while I expected him to look hurt, he didn't. It was like I confirmed something he already knew. He looked away and stared out the windshield.