Chapter X

Since it had been a couple of weeks since we last spent time together. I received Maverick's gift just yesterday. Today however, plans had changed yet again. We had made plans to go to navy pier but with our work schedules causing conflict, I found myself invited to a bar. We kept in contact through text messages and although it might come across as creepy to some, whenever I found myself thinking over Maverick, I'd grab the walkman and hit play.

Now that we were about to meet up again, it strangely felt like meeting him for the first time all over again. I thought of his soft curls, his guarded eyes and that fucking smile. That smile could end armies. Of course, that probably wasn't accurate but man, that smile.

The red line got me in the right direction but it was still a few blocks of a walk. The area was pretty busy since the meet up time was right around rush hour. I almost walked right by the building because it hadn't been too often that I ventured in this part of town. It was in a strip mall and there was a pride flag at the front door. Which both terrified and comforted me.

This would be the first time I'd ever gone to gay bar alone. I thought of inviting Thom, but like Kyra, he was swamped with work. Avery had crossed my mind. I just hadn't been able to catch him in person. There may have been somewhat of an irrational fear of calling him at a bad time. Avery still went to important meetings. I wasn't sure what he was cooking up yet.

Ryker might've been a disaster but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. I send an invite - via text.

The inside wasn't about to blow anyone's mind. It was modern and pretty busy. The staff were mostly women in black shirts. There were the expected barstools lined up right where all the action took place. I realized that this was a cocktail bar. I was pretty sure this place got even more packed at night. There were tables outside but no chairs, which made sense to me. It was a cold day.

I started to search the long room for anyone I knew. I knew I wasn't the one invited. There were wine bottles stylishly stacked against the wall and so many unopened bottles of liquor. Some of which I did not recognize. I was busy checking out the light fixtures, which were like a chandelier but in a sphere.

"Brayden! Over here!"

I snapped my head whatever direction my name was being called. Sure enough, just further down the bartop was Andrew waving me over. I saw Wren and several other faces I'd met before. Wren was busy chatting up a woman dressed in a beanie and a flannel. Before I could make my way over, someone had turned the disco ball on. I found myself a little dazzled by it. A well known song Dancing Queen by ABBA was playing.

I was looking up and the smile of surprise on my face was just starting to return to normal when I looked back down. Maverick was standing in the distance of the crowd, just on the other side of the room from me. Could this have gotten any cheesier? It did.

Maverick had an expression of awe at first and then there was a look of something like bedroom eyes. In the now poor lighting, I could just be seeing things. I also felt shy. Like maybe I was 14 and I found myself in the presence of my crush. It didn't last long. I found myself making my way over to him. Maverick wore a checkered unbuttoned shirt over a black band shirt. He wore jeans which he had his hands shoved in the pockets of. His hair was a mess but not in a bad way.

The music was so loud so I knew talking was going to take an effort. I felt the pull though. Like Maverick was gravitation and I was caught in gravity's pull. It wasn't enough to mute the noise and I wasn't blind to how busy it was. It wasn't like everyone suddenly slowed down all around us. Life simply, just went on.

Maverick did not move, even when I finally reached him. Now that I found myself having to suddenly look a little up at him, I started to feel shy again. I pushed those feelings down. Like, come on, you know this guy. It's not a big deal!