Chapter XXIII

Two whole weeks had gone by and I was finally starting to get sexually frustrated. Both Thom and Ryker told me to just give it time. Avery was currently traveling overseas. One of his sisters had just given birth to her 5th child. Avery wasn't the only one out of town. Mason was busy with more mysterious missions. Whatever it was. Which meant Maverick was a little busier than normal.

Maverick and I weren't the only ones on the verge of a fritz. Both Kyra and Lulu were struggling to make time for each other. Kyra rarely had time to leave the city. The school year was coming to an end in a few months. Almost the same could be said about Lulu in the south suburbs. Although her profession was different. I just never got around to ask.

Ryker had to travel out further for jobs. Thom would sometimes bury himself deeper in his work. Which is why I would sometimes slip in the front door and see to it that he was comfortable in bed or the couch. Thom was borderline narcoleptic.

That aside, time with Thom did not change much. As quickly as he could fall asleep, he could just easily wake up. Next thing I knew, we'd order in some pizza and binge watch our favorite shows.

Maverick had stopped by for lunch during my lunch break. Since it got so humid that day, his tie was loose and he carried his blazer over his shoulder. He brought cold cut sandwiches and ice cream.

"My hero." And I started to eat it at the front desk. I also noticed that he wasn't eating. "You didn't eat anything?" Immediately I grabbed the plastic utensils and started the process of splitting my sandwich so he could at least have something.

"My lunch break was an hour ago."

Then I just stared at him.

Maverick drummed his fingers over the front desk, sort of like he didn't know what to say. Before the silence could get too awkward, he finally stopped looking at the floor to look me in the eyes. "Do you wanna go on a date? I mean like an actual date this time."

This stumped me but Maverick was patient. I almost word-vomited all over him because at the moment, my thoughts weren't very coherent. Like why hadn't I thought of that instead of sitting here wondering why he wasn't already trying to bone me. I think I managed a deep breath or two and I could tell Maverick was doing his best to hide that amused smile of his. His eyes gave him away.

"Y-yes." I stammered. "I would very much like that."

Maverick's fingers drummed the surface once more while he cracked a smile. "I've also decided to seek out therapy." The question was the tip of my tongue, but it didn't take long for me to catch out.

"That's good to hear."

"I've got Thom to thank for that. He's the one who suggested it."

"That does not surprise me." I found myself checking him out. I don't know why, but the whole thing with him getting his shit together was kind of a turn on. Did that make me weird? It probably did.

Maverick changed gears though. "Do you wanna know where I plan to take you? Or would you rather it remain a mystery?"

I gave him a knowing look. The kind that said, don't you already know me well enough by now?

"A mystery it is." He said and his smile hardly wavered. I think he was a little nervous. "I'll text you tonight."

"Tonight?"

"Tonight." He was turning away and headed for the front door. "I've gotta get back to work."

"See you tonight!"

****

I felt a little under-prepared but I did get what I asked for. Thom had no issue helping figure out what to wear. Apparently, Maverick had already given him a heads up, or Thom was just really good at pretending like he knew what was up. With Thom, it was hard to tell the difference. He set me up with an Armani suit that surprisingly fit me. It was Avery's and with Avery having been a model...