Chapter XIII

It turned into a busy weekend. Restful, invigorating but still busy. We spent hours by the fire before bedtime. Thom was always the first to fall asleep. Ryker had no qualms about carrying him to bed. Maverick and I were always the last. In the final hour before we said our goodnights, we planned our futures together. It turned out, there was a lot we agreed on wanting to do. Like go visit the haunted ship Queen Mary. He'd never been to New Orleans, but I had. I told him how fun the zip line at the french quarter was.

There was always that pause though. Since our rooms were right next to each other, we'd linger in our doorways and sort of just stare at each other. I don't think he wanted this to end any more than I had. We'd keep finding things to say and it was getting hard being apart from him. The wall between us might as well be the ocean.

"You know, Thom, Ryker and Avery own a lake house out in Oak Run," I was saying. It was our last night. "I could see if we could all take a weekend out there together in the summer."

"I'd like that." His eyes were difficult to see in the dark but I had a feeling they looked happy. I could hear it in his voice. His voice sounded slightly dreamy too, or it was just my imagination. It could be that my mind was building a perception of him. "You think by then..."

"Kyra would have the guts to invite Lulu along?" I finished for him but then had a thought. "Do you happen to know her well?"

"My goodness." He faked a poor baritone southern accent that was supposed to sound regal.. "You sound just like your friends." He went back to his normal voice. "Honestly, no but you can count on me to be team Kyra."

"That is the perfect answer." My fingers drummed along the door frame. In the dark, I heard his fingers do the same. "So goodnight? Thanks for coming with this motley crew."

"Thank you for having me. Goodnight."

Our doors shut soon after. A part of me wanted to linger with my back against the door. I wanted to hear his movement. I wondered, did he feel the same? Was he doing the same? Did he want to lean his back against his door and listen for me?

Instead, I unwillingly crawled into my bed and found myself staring at the wall. More accurately, the space where he might be.

When it was in the morning, Kyra was watching Spice Girls and it was when they were just about to meet the UFO when I got up. Maverick was naturally making some breakfast sausages. He had a plate ready for me but I looked to Kyra.

"Oh, I already ate. Have at it." Half of her face was suddenly hidden behind a mug of coffee.

She didn't have to tell me twice.

When we were done, we had to start packing. Which did not take long. It also did not take long to notice the glow on Thom, Ryker and Avery. Maverick leaned forward to fist bump Avery. Which shocked me because Avery was the least fist bump person I'd ever known. We were all pretty mature adults not to comment.

The next sad part was having one final look at Vail. It was so charming but it was far less busy since it was Monday. Most had already gone back on Sunday. It was sort of like when we went window shopping for the first time together. Only this time, Maverick had gotten closer to us. Avery especially.

For once, Ryker wasn't being his usual overprotective self. I guess because he knew Avery could handle himself. Not that Avery would.

"You know, I really do think he's a good guy but I still think you could do better." Ryker said beside me.

My face suddenly went on fire. Yes, a part of me wanted to defend him but it was more because I felt embarrassed. "It's that obvious?"

"Oh yeah. You even have like a little drool right there over in the corner of your mouth." He was gesturing over in the vicinity and I found myself starting to make a reach for it. I was panicking.