Chapter VIII

There were some donuts on sale and they were my favorite type, glazed. If you weren't careful, they could drip. Originally, I wasn't sure if I should have gotten those or the custard. I figured it was a safe choice to go with the glazed.

Maverick had already texted me the address. I'd already gone home to freshen up and change clothes. I hit a small corner store that had excellent quality donuts. Once I was done, I hopped on the Blue line to head North West. It wasn't too long of a ride and there would be some walking, which I didn't mind.

He lived in one of those old Chicago kinds of buildings. Like the kind that had a buzzer and likely an elevator cage. I turned out to be right. I sent a text and he buzzed me up. He lived on the third floor.

I could smell something greasy the moment I stepped off the elevator. I also almost walked right by his door, which was open. Once I saw the numbers 302, I knew this was the place. It was an open floor plan. Despite the outside, the inside of the apartment was much more modern.

Maverick greeted me near the door, he was just a little off to the left. His back was to me at first before he turned around with a couple of paper plates. "You brought donuts." He did a slight head tilt with a smirk.

"You bought pizza." Which I said and noticed that was what he was doing just before I walked in. He fixed me a plate and everything. Pepperoni and cheese.

"I wasn't sure what toppings you'd like. I figured it was a safe bet."

"And I wasn't sure what kind of donuts you'd like."

"Well I do enjoy custard or jelly filling but I won't say no to glazed." He reached out to take them and I handed them over while he handed me my plate.

"I don't mind pepperoni but I also like various other toppings too." I said while letting myself get a good look of the place. It was spacious and kind of seemed perfect for a youthful bachelor. It looked like he had a futon couch in front of a large flatscreen. The table was suited for a handful of people. The light fixtures were very modern along with the plumbing in the kitchen sink. "Just nothing weird like pineapple or anchovies."

I sat on a stool since the table was built for higher seating. I found myself looking up slightly at how elegant the lighting was above us. Thom would be more suited to naming every product and brand in this room. As stereotypical as it may seem, Thom knew style.

"What about deep dish?" He asked just as he joined me. He sat across from me. It was almost as if the early afternoon never happened. He just seemed so chill and I felt relaxed around him. I noted that he dressed for a cozy night in a gray t-shirt under a denim style button up.

"I wouldn't say no to that either."

"Awesome, because I happened to order a small one just in case. Deep dish also happens to be my favorite." He placed his elbows on the table and I think regarded me for a moment. Maybe he was regretting this?

I refused to let my mind go that direction. "I hope it's got sausage."

"It... doesn't." When I raised my brows and made my expression comically he continued, "There's still a lot I don't know about you." He wasn't taking this personally and he never had to.

"But it's all good. I can still put away a lot of pizza." I grabbed a slice and started to eat. I almost also said how I would put out for pizza. A joke but it would have been a bad one.

"Who doesn't like pizza." He didn't phrase it as a question and he too started to grab a slice.

Things were good at this very moment. It wasn't until we were halfway through our meal that he even asked me. "So are we good?"