Chapter V

As it turned out, Thom almost couldn't make it. The man was on the threshold of being narcoleptic. I had joked that he had been born on the wrong side of the planet. He overslept. It took a little 'convincing' by Ryker to get him up. Kyra was able to pull through. I had just ended my shift and waited in the lobby. It was a blistering cold day out. The wind chill fell below 20 degrees in fahrenheit.

Ryker was probably the only one underdressed. The man had the body temperature of a heater. Those were Thom's words not mine. Ryker was the one who announced to us all about how Thom liked to put his cold feet on his back. This had caused him to yelp that even Avery woke up out of his sleep and shot out of bed.

Kyra looked like she was dressed for the secret service. She wore a brown overcoat and black sneakers with matching sunglasses. Her dark hair hugged her head. It was tucked in the coat while a few loose locks from the front hung out a bit. I just wore boots, with dark blue jeans and a dark red pea coat. I also had a dark orange scarf that I let hang loose around my neck.

Mr. Priestly AKA Thom walked out of the elevator, the most stylish of us all. He walked like he owned the place with his Gucci belt and scarf. He otherwise looked like he was about to waltz around Antarctica. I wouldn't be surprised if he wore socks over socks.

Maverick arrived shortly after Thom arrived at the lobby, but he was alone. Kyra and I happened to share a look. I think she understood more than I did. He too wore a peacoat but it was black. He wore black jeans and what looked like a black t-shirt underneath with a silver chain. I also hadn't noticed the compass tattoo on the back of his right hand. I might've been caught tilting my head to get a better look at it.

"Hey-" He started to say. He stood just a few short feet away. I could swear, my feet were lined up with his. Had there been less distance, we would literally be toe to toe. I had somehow forgotten how charming he was in person. I could also smell a hint of cologne. Thom was more versed in the different types than I was.

"Yo!" This had come from Ryker. I noticed Kyra cringe and judging from the sudden silence in the lobby, Thom was probably giving his dear husband the look. I found myself trying to look in any other direction.

Maverick didn't seem to mind though. I sort of wanted to ask him something. So I asked him the first question that came to mind. "What cologne is that?"

He didn't look at all surprised that I asked but Kyra answered that. "Thallium Paris. My ex used to wear that." Her nose crinkle confirmed that it didn't bring back the fondest of memories but she wasn't bitter about it.

Maverick turned his attention to her and said, "I'll be sure to put on some Tom Ford next time." He oozed so much charm, I think Kyra was beside herself. She put her game face back on but pushed at her dark red Coach Outlets at the center.

When he held out his arm, she gave him a look I could not discern. "If you really wanna get on my good side, start by putting caffeine and food in this body." She looped her arm through his.

Maverick just smiled over at me and then I almost forgot what gravity was. I just shot him a thumbs up, but with only one thumb. I felt like a total idiot after that. Then I turned to walk beside Thom and Ryker.

"He hasn't lost his charm." Thom said a little off handedly. He was watching Maverick but not like a hawk. That was just Thom's nature.

"Yeah whatever." Ryker jutted out a chin at Mavericks backside.

Thom slowed. "Are you jealous?"

I slowed too and Ryker, confused, did as well. "Wha-"

Then it was my turn to give him a look. I made sure it was a very pointed look. I just hoped he got the point.