Chapter IV

It was during my break when I finally looked at my phone.

Maverick: I'm still in if you are.

I smiled before typing a response that Thom and his husbands were in. Then I shot Kyra the same invite. She didn't take long to respond. We still had no idea what we were going to do yet, let alone pick a date, but she said she was for it. Just as long as it was after Christmas. Which I forgot about.

You'd think I wouldn't have. Especially with all the Christmas music I'd been hearing everywhere. Especially when hanging around Thom, who loved Christmas music. These things should have been a constant reminder.

I was waiting for another response. It has been about 15 minutes now. Things at work were slow enough for me to be able to watch my phone. I still kept glancing up at the glass doors, just in case. Instead, I kept looking at his last message, which had been sent early this morning. It was after 6 when he had sent it. I found myself re-reading his words over and over again. It was promising. It meant I hadn't fucked things up... yet.

When I saw it, a response was on the way. My heart rate might've shot up at that. I felt my back straighten and I was suddenly very attentive. I used both hands to hold the phone. I don't know why, but this felt crucial.

Maverick: After Christmas sounds great! I think maybe we could do some window shopping. We could easily take advantage of sales.

Why hadn't I thought of that?

I felt like a schoolgirl. The crush had finally noticed her. I didn't even respond yet for fear of looking desperate. I counted to a hundred and twenty seconds before running this to a special group chat shared with Thom, the husbands and myself. Which I probably should have included Kyra. It would have saved a lot of time.

The idea got passed along. Avery was the only one who did not respond in the group chat. He didn't need to. Thom seemed excited though while Ryker did not hide his reluctance. Kyra thought it was a really good idea.

I told Maverick that everyone was good with this. Then I noticed it had been about 15 minutes. I really needed to stop looking at numbers and overthinking things. I knew it drove Thom crazy whenever I did, even though he never said it much. Ryker would sometimes just look at me like I was crazy sometimes. Avery, I guess you could say he took it with a grain of salt. Kyra wasn't great at hiding her expressions. She'd nod and listen though.

Brayden: All we need to do now is pick a date.

I refrained from asking who he was inviting along. Avery's words suddenly came to haunt me. Maverick had more than a couple of casual sex partners. Wren's expression also haunted me. She looked at me weird, like, casual sex partners only met up to fuck and that was it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd been such an idiot.

Maverick: How about the 27th?

I checked with the crew.

Brayden: That might work! However Thom is being extremely tight lipped about a surprise he's got in store for us on Christmas Eve. Kyra thinks it's a private trip to the bahamas. With Thom, you just never know.

I had to get back to work. It was going to be hours before I would remember to check my phone for any other messages. When I did, it was after clocking out. I was disappointed because there hadn't been a response. However, I had a date with some more Netflix. Maybe I will finish that murder mystery novel I started last week.

Having a night alone really wasn't such a bad thing.

****