Chapter XVII

Considering both Maverick and I were the spontaneous sort, anything could happen. When I tried to guess, Maverick's one and only clue was a wink with, "As one of your best friends, it's my duty to show you a truly good time. You can forget all about that horrible speed dating. By the way, I'm still proud of you. Even if I were the type to settle down, not even I would want to touch speed dating with a 10 foot pole."

The message came across as mixed, but I didn't point this out. "Then by all means, I give you permission to do with me as you will." I was sure he missed the hidden message. Not that I meant for it, but it was the truth. I leaned back with my hands behind my head but didn't put my feet up on the dashboard.

Maverick casually glanced at me and there it was again. What was he really thinking about? Did he actually catch the hidden message? He had what Thom would've called a resting bitch face look. There was still so much about him shrouded in mystery.

I fiddled with the radio a bit but kept the volume low. Of course, it was from the 80's. That was for his benefit more than mine. Maverick caught on to this quickly. "You know you don't have to."

"But I do want to."

Maverick didn't say anything. I could see the excitement seep through the cracks of his usually cool exterior as he drove to whatever location he had in mind. "I'll give you one last clue," He suddenly said. "It's not just one location."

Now I was excited, but I also wanted to question him further. I wouldn't.

We ended up at a parking lot in front of a building that looked a little run down. I was pretty sure it closed and likely on its last legs. I'd never been or seen this place. "We're not... are we?" I had mixed feelings about this. The mere thought was thrilling but also a little terrifying. The engine was off now.

Maverick just grinned at me. "Oh we totally are." He got out before I could say anything else. "Maverick, how?"

The parking lot was empty and there were barely any lights on. "This looks straight out of a horror movie. Like the opening scene where a couple of idiots go somewhere where they're not supposed to and unearth an unspeakable evil of some sort." I wasn't trying to complain. I was just voicing my concerns. Despite how logical I was speaking, my body was doing the opposite. I got out of the car and started to walk with him.

It was an old brick building with only a double glass door entrance. There was a bowling pin with a black ball, but it was hard to see in the dark. Were we really going to do this? I had no intention of arguing against this. It was like he knew how to get my interest and adrenaline pumping.

"They were going out of business." I understood that Maverick was explaining. He had one of the biggest smiles I'd ever seen. His eyes were even sparkling in the dark with it. "Mason bought it."

"Ah, so naturally he's going to fix it up and sell it." I nodded and felt less afraid now. Mason did have his hands in a lot of cookie jars. I was glancing around a little because even though there were still some suburban houses nearby. Maverick must've noticed my, Is this even a safe area, look.

He stopped walking and I had to stop to look at him questionably. "I'll understand if you don't want to. I do have other places in mind."

I answered him wordlessly, by heading over towards the entrance.

"Hold up." I heard him jog lightly and his hands brushed across my shoulder blades. As odd as it was, I almost moaned. I was seriously hung up on this man. "Not that way. One of the employees left a drive thru window open on the side. We can crawl in that way."

He led the way. It was off to the right side of the building and sure enough there was a window. Maverick walked right up to it like it was the most normal thing to do. He pushed at the glass and though it required minimal effort, it slid to the side with his light grunt.