11 No saint

Lily POV

That was exactly what I had feared. I was afraid that the kids wouldn't be able to handle it.

"Uh-oh..." Maya went, looking back and forth between me and Roman.

"I need to talk to her. Why don't you sit with the boys? Maybe they can play with Maya. Don't worry about it, okay? I can work this out." said Roman, giving Maya a kiss on the forehead and handing her to me.

I heard him take a deep breath and then head off to talk to his daughter. She seemed so upset that I wondered if it was even possible for her to connect with her sister.

--------------

Roman POV

I knocked on the door to Jojo's room and then went in, knowing she wouldn't ask me to come in anyway.

"Can we talk about this?" I asked as I sat down on the bed with her.

"No." she replied simply.

"Come on, princess. You know you're going to have to talk to me eventually," I said.

"I don't. I called mom to come get me. I can't believe you're doing this to me. Isn't it bad enough that you don't live at home anymore? No, now you have a new family, too," she blurted out, even though she didn't really want to.

"That's not true, baby girl. You and Waylon and Kingsley are just as important to me as ever. I love you guys more than you understand. There is no new family and I won't let you down. But I'm not perfect. Parents make mistakes. Life is not always easy. On the contrary. It's freaking complicated.

But just because I made a mistake doesn't mean it has to be bad. Maybe you'll even like having a sister someday. I don't expect you to like it right away, but maybe someday. All I ask is that you give Maya and Lily a chance. Because they are a part of my life now. That's not going to change.

Nothing will change between us. I would never let that happen. And you know that, Jojo. I'm always here if you need anything. Don't forget that. I'm sorry you're mad. I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings. But I'm only human. And I hope you can forgive me," I explained gently.

Then after a few minutes I slid over to her and hugged her tightly. And to my amazement, she let it happen. She even hugged me back.

"I love you, Jojo. Don't forget that." I said.

"I love you too... Is it still okay if I go home to mom?" she replied softly.

"Sure. If that's what you want." said I though it stung a lot.

Less than 30 seconds later, the doorbell rang. It was Galina for sure. One thing was already clear to me... she would be very happy to take Jojo home with her. It played right into her cards.

I went to let her in. But she was not alone as I had expected. She had her boyfriend Tobias with her. That was the last thing I needed.

"Where is she?" Galina wanted to know immediately.

"In her room. I'm sure she'll be here soon. Hey Tobias," I replied.

"Good, I'll take the boys to the car in the meantime. What were you thinking leaving her alone with my kids?" she said and then stopped when she came into the living room and saw Lily sitting there on the couch.

"Get away from my kids, you home wrecker!" she hissed at Lily.

"Hey! That's really not necessary and certainly not in front of the kids. What's wrong with you?" I replied, pulling her back as she took a step toward Lily.

This scared Maya so much that she immediately started crying. Lily picked her up and tried to calm her down. But it didn't help. She would not let herself be calmed.

"It's okay, darling. Mommy is here." she said gently, rocking Maya back and forth.

"Lily, why don't you go into the garden? I'll be with you in a minute. And please take the boys out with you. Thank you." I said to her.

"What, have you lost your mind? I'm not leaving that slut alone with my kids!" my ex yelled.

"That's enough. Come on, Maya. We're going home. I'm sorry Roman but I can't do this." replied Lily, making a wide berth around Galina and Tobias as she tried to leave.

"No, you're not going. Wait please. I'll sort it out. You can go into the bedroom. The last door on the right." I said, because the last thing I wanted was for her to leave.

Then I picked up the boys and quickly took them to Jojo's room. I told her to watch her brothers for a minute.

"The only person who seems to have lost their mind here is you! How dare you yell like that in front of the kids? I have another daughter, deal with it," I growled at her as I came back into the living room.

"She will soon be the only child you get to see. I will not let my children come in contact with the woman who ruined everything. You'll hear from my lawyer, Roman," she hissed.

"That's enough! No one needs a lawyer and no one is taking anyone's children away. Life goes on, Galina. He's trying to make it right. You know as well as I do that you can't do that to your children. They would hate you. Besides, you're not exactly innocent either," Tobias suddenly said.

"What do you mean?" I wanted to know, because his tone was hinting at something.

"Don't you dare! It's none of his business." she said to him quietly.

"I've been silent long enough and I've had it. If you don't come clean, I will. I'm not going to let you screw everything up because your ego is more important to you. There are children involved here, for God's sake." he replied.

"Galina what does he mean?" i asked.

"Nothing. It's none of your business." she replied.

"Oh, it is! She knew from day one that you were having an affair. And instead of confronting you about it, she had one herself. With me... But she preferred to pretend that nothing happened until you confessed it to her the other day. The fact that you had another child was what she can't bear. 

You both screwed up. And now there's an end to this 'it's all your fault' fuss, Lina. Roman is trying to do the right thing for all his kids, damn it. But it was more important for you to look good. That's why you kept quiet, but that's over now. I've put up with this for far too long. I'll wait in the car." he explained.

"Well... so much for sensing that I wasn't happy anymore, huh? You've known it all along. But you weren't a saint either." I said as I tried to understand what had just happened here.