16 Tense

Roman POV

"Alright.... Jojo will you go and help the boys wash their hands? I'll get dinner started." said I as we walked into the house.

"Sure. What are you making?" she wanted to know as Kingsley and Waylon were already walking toward the bathroom.

"I thought I'd make lasagna. Your grandma brought it over yesterday," I replied.

"Uh, nice. I love her lasagna." she said excitedly and then hopped after her brothers.

I then went into the kitchen to put the lasagna in the oven. Mom had left me specific instructions, although by now I knew exactly what to do. But I was still grateful to her and I knew that she only meant well.

Then I cleaned up a little while the kids played in the living room. It had been a long day and I was surprised that they still had energy left. We had been at the trampoline park all day. I think it was safe to say that all three of them had a lot of fun. Their laughter was music to my ears although of course there was a piece missing.

It had been a few weeks since Lily and Maya had flown home. I missed them very much, but of course I understood very well that Lily needed time to think about my suggestion. Nevertheless, it made me feel uneasy, especially now that Maya was sick.

Half an hour later the food was ready, the table was set. We ate dinner and the kids, especially the boys chattered like crazy about how much fun they had today and if and when we could do it again. But slowly the tiredness was starting to show.

I was sure that as soon as their heads touched the pillows they would sleep like rocks. For Joelle it was of course still a bit too early to go to bed. But she wanted to make a phone call to a friend from school.

When the house was quiet I sat down on the couch to video call Lily. It didn't take long for her beautiful face to appear on my screen. And our little Miss Maya was lying on her chest while seemingly fast asleep. Even through the phone I could see how red her face was. My poor angel.

"Hey... How are you guys doing? How's her fever?", I asked.

"It's getting better. I hope it stays down now. It's been up and down for a couple of hours. And her ear is still hurting pretty bad. That's why I'm glad she finally went to sleep." replied Lily.

Maya had a otitis media, an ear infection. That's why she was anything but well. And I suffered with her. Especially because I couldn't be with her.

Lily and I talked for a while. We talked about everything that had happened today, but also about other things. I missed her very much. I tried to hide it, but I don't think I did a good job.

After we hung up, I put the phone on the table in front of me and propped my elbows on my knees as I held my face in my hands. I sighed deeply.

"Are you all right?" asked Jojo to me suddenly.

"Yes, princess... Everything is all right." I replied.

"Come on dad... I know you're worried. What's wrong?" she then said as she sat down next to me.

"I'm just a little tense because your.... Because Maya is sick. And since they live so far away I can't be there for them like I always am when one of you is sick." I replied.

"I'm sorry she's sick. But... but she has her mom right?" she wanted to know as I took my hand in hers.

"That's true. But you know how I am. I always worry about you guys. Especially when one of you isn't feeling well." I replied as I squeezed her little hand.

Jojo was quiet for a while. I wondered what was going on inside her, but I didn't want to push her to tell me. She would do it whenever she was ready.

"Dad, you know you're a good dad, right? And I know I haven't made it easy for you, but.... if your... your girlfriend and my... sister... are here next time, can I meet them?" said Jojo finally.

"Of course you can... When you're completely sure you're ready," I replied.

"I think so. I talked to grandma a lot. And she said that um... that none of what happened with you and mom had anything to do with us kids. And that I should try to give them a chance because they're important to you and I love you. Besides, it's only fair because I gave Tobias a chance too," she explained to me.

"I love you too, princess. And I'm really proud of you." I replied and pulled my daughter into my arms.

"For what?" she wanted to know.

"For the great person you are. You're a great kid." said I.

"Thank you... But that's kind of your job to say." she giggled.