27 Something sweet

Roman POV

I went to the kitchen to see what Lily and Maya were doing. In a few minutes I was going to pick up the other kids at their mom's house, but I just couldn't resist seeing what my two girls were doing. Lily said she was going to make cinnamon buns for the kids.

As I stepped into the kitchen I just saw Lily helping Maya onto the step stool so our little one could help her. Maya was grinning widely as usual. She loved to help her mommy in the kitchen. And she was especially attentive when it came to something sugary.

"Okay, Maya. Take the spoon and sprinkle some flour on the work surface. Then Mommy can roll out the dough. And you, my little darling, can mix the cinnamon and sugar together while I do it," she explained to our daughter as she placed a small bowl of flour in front of her.

Since I couldn't wait a second longer, I stepped behind my gorgeous fiancée and wrapped my arms around her. I rested my chin on her shoulder as I heard her sigh comfortably. Lily leaned against me, relaxing.

"I thought you'd be on your way by now." she said softly.

"Not without a kiss for the road," I replied.

Lily laughed softly and then turned her head to the side so I could press my lips against hers.

"Daddy, look!" said Maya as she spread the flour the way her mommy had told her to.

But at that moment as she looked at me proudly, the spoon in her hand swung around and the flour on it flew through the air, right into my face.

"Oopsie..." said Maya, and Lily, who strangely hadn't gotten any, laughed out loud.

"That's not funny!" I said as I reached for a dish towel to wipe my face.

"You're just saying that because you can't see your face." she continued laughing and Maya joined in as well.

"Lovely family I have." I grumbled.

"Oh come on Ro... I was just making fun." said Lily, but still couldn't help grinning.

"Oh yeah? Well let's see how you like it...." I said, grabbing her.

Then I rubbed my flour covered face over hers. Lily squirmed to get away from me, but of course had no chance.

"Ahh... no! Stop it!" she shrieked.

"Not a chance, baby girl." I laughed.

-----

After a few minutes I had to give it up because I was now late to pick up the kids. I quickly went to wash and change before heading out.

"Hi Dad! What do you look like?" asked Jojo as she got into the car.

"What do you mean?" I wanted to know.

"Well... your hair is all gray..." she replied.

"Oh.... that... Yeah, well... Maya hit me with some flour. She and Lily are just about to make cinnamon buns for you guys." I explained to her.

"That means they're back? Thank God." Jojo said, the last part so softly that I could barely understand it.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing... I'm just glad you guys seem to have patched things up. I'm really sorry, Dad. I didn't mean to hurt you. And I'll apologize to Lily too." she replied.

"That's good. And I know this isn't easy for you. But you know we've been together for over a year now and everyone deserves to be happy," I said.

"I know, I know. It was stupid of me. Even though I had just met her back then," Jojo said.

-------

"Wow, it smells so good!" said Jojo as we walked in the door.

The boys immediately ran into the kitchen from where the wonderful smell of freshly baked goodies came.

"It does. Better hurry before Waylon and Kingsley eat it all themselves." I replied, nudging her in the side.

"Hi, guys." said Lily as we walked into the kitchen.

"Jojo!" cheered Maya, rushing towards her sister.

She wrapped her arms around Joelle's leg and looked up at her joyfully.

"Hi little one! How are you?" asked Jojo as she rubbed Maya's back.

"We baked. Come on!" replied Maya before grabbing her sister's hand and pulling her along.

"Hi Joelle. How are you, sweetie?" asked Lily.

And then what neither of us had expected happened. Joelle walked up to Lily and hugged her tightly. Lily looked at me in surprise. 

"I'm sorry I was so rude. I'm glad you make my daddy so happy. And I hope I didn't mess everything up," Joelle said softly.

"Thank you, Jojo. I appreciate your apology. And everything is fine between your dad and I." replied Lily.

"Does that mean you're going to get married?" she wanted to know.

"Yes, we are." said Lily with a smile.

"I'm really happy for you guys. And if I may, I'll help you as much as I can." Jojo then said.

"I'd like that." said Lily simply.

It had taken quite a while, but it almost seemed as if Joelle had finally accepted that my life was going on and that Lily and Maya were as much a part of it as she and her brothers.