15 A promise

Roman POV

Carefully I snuggled back against Lily. My arms wrapped themselves around her middle and pulled her close to me, so close that nothing fit between us anymore. I sighed deeply as her still so familiar scent rose to my nose.

Her soft hair tickled my chest as I held her. I listened to her slow, steady breathing as I lay there thinking. For the first time in a long time, I knew exactly what I wanted. Now I just had to find a way to convince Lily.

I tried to fall asleep, but somehow I could not. All my thoughts were about the woman in my arms and how we could make a future together work.

Suddenly, however, I was jerked out of those thoughts as Lily woke up with a gasp.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly.

"Maya... I have to check on her..." she mumbled and tried to roll out of my arms. But I held her back.

"Relax. She's fine. I was just checking on her. And the baby monitor is on your nightstand." I said and gave her a kiss on the temple to calm her down.

Together we looked at the small monitor and saw Maya fast asleep while holding Dolly in her arms.

"Oh... Thank you." whispered Lily before turning in my arms to look at me.

Even in the dimly lit room, her eyes were glowing. Her face was all peaceful as she looked up at me. Lily slowly raised one hand and brushed from my forehead, over my temple down to my cheek where her fingertips lingered.

"I can't tell you how much I've missed you all these years." She whispered as the tip of her index finger now traced across my lips.

"I've missed you, too. Maybe even more than I realized. And I really do love you. And our little Maya. I know we probably have a lot of things ahead of us that are difficult, but I want us to face it together. That's why I have a question... What do you think about you and Maya moving in with me?" I replied.

"Roman... Listen. You know we love you too. But this is-" Lily began, but I put my finger over her mouth.

"I don't want an answer from you just yet, Lily. I just want you to think about it. Take your time. I can wait. It's just a thought I can't get out of my head and wanted to share with you. It would make things easier for all of us.

I understand that my request may be a bit sudden for you, but that doesn't make it any less important. It's a big step. I know that. Please think about it carefully," I said, looking deep into her eyes.

"You're right... It is a big step, but I promise you that I will think about it, Roman. But I can tell you one thing right now.... I'm grateful to you for not trying to put pressure on us. I realize that you want us to be with you and close to the other children. We will work it out. I promise," she replied softly.

Slowly she slid closer to me until she could press her lips on mine. This kiss felt like a promise. It was full of love. Once again I felt the connection that was between us.

And even though I have experienced love before in my life, it was never like it was with Lily.