30 Beautiful Mistake

~ About 1 1/2 years later ~

Roman POV

As I looked out at the sea and the waves, a feeling of peacefulness flowed through me. At the same time, I felt complete and happy. It was like the scene of a dream I had so long ago. A dream that when I woke up I thought would never come true.

But as it turned out, it became true. It had taken a while and it wasn't quite like my dream. It was better, it was better in so many ways.

With a smile, I sighed as the children's laughter echoed over to me. It was the most beautiful sound in the world. 

Jojo and Maya were building a big sand castle while the boys were playing badminton. Beforehand, they had all collected stones, shells and twigs together for the castle. But the boys got tired of it pretty quickly. It warmed my heart how great Joelle was playing with her little sister. She had not believed me when I told her that one day she would love to have a sister back then. But today it was exactly like this. Maya had her whole heart.

And the moment got even better when I felt a warm hand on my lower back. I turned my head and immediately saw the face I had fallen head over heels in love with. The woman who had changed my life was looking at me lovingly.

"Are you okay, Ro?" Lily asked gently.

"You bet I am, baby girl. It's so rewarding to spend time with you and the kids. Remember that dream I told you about? The one I had the night before you disappeared?" I replied as I put my arm around her.

"I do. Is it like you imagined it?" she asked.

"No.... it's better." I said and gave her a loving kiss on the lips.

Then I leaned over to press a kiss to the head of our baby that Lily was holding in her arms. He immediately cooed and looked at me with his familiar eyes. Like Maya, Silas had Lily's eyes. Such a beautiful and beloved gift was our little man. It was hard to believe that he was already three months old.

"Sounds like your son agrees with you. You wanna get in daddy's arms, peanut?" replied Lily before handing me the baby.

I held him in one arm while pulling his mommy to us. Lily put her arms around both of us before resting her head on my shoulder.

"I love you." she whispered.

"I love you more." I replied softly.

"As if! Let's eat. The boys are probably starving by now." she said as she winked at me.

I called the kids over to us and together we sat down on the blanket where we enjoyed the meal together as a family. The children chattered with each other about everything they had experienced during their vacation here on O'ahu. Silas didn't mind a bit when he fell asleep in my arms.

That was perfect. And I could better and better imagine really living here someday and enjoying life with our children and someday grandchildren.

And even though at the time it seemed out of reach, even impossible.... our mistake had turned into something beautiful.