12 Honestly?

Roman POV

"Aren't you going to say anything?" I asked as we just stood there in silence staring at each other.

"I don't think I could say anything that would change the situation. After all, you were the one who first threw our marriage into the gutter. And I didn't get knocked up. Now if you'll excuse me... I want to take the kids home.  Jojo is clearly not ready to meet her.... sister. Jojo! Come here baby. Let's go!" she snarled and then made her way to Jojo's room.

I was completely stunned, but I couldn't say I was mad. Because the truth was, I didn't really care. For me, our marriage was doomed the second I kissed Lily for the first time.

She had triggered feelings in me of which I did not even know that they existed. That's how extraordinary she was for me. Nothing else made sense. No matter how terrible it was. And even after 3 years, nothing about those feelings had changed.

"Bye, Daddy. I'm sorry." said Jojo as she came into the room and wrapped her arms around my stomach.

I couldn't be angry with her, of course. I knew it was a lot for her to process. And I would give her all the time she needed. She was my smart little ninja. Always up to something.

"It's okay, princess. Call me if you want to talk and I'll see you real soon. I promise." I replied as I rubbed her back and gave her a kiss on the top of her head.

Then I said goodbye to my sons. Both looked at me with their big eyes and grinned. It was good that at their age they didn't quite understand what was going on.

Together with their mother they left the house. I watched them as they slowly drove out of the driveway. And as the boys and Jojo waved at me, I could only hope for a happy ending.

With a deep sigh I closed the door and headed for the bedroom to see how Lily and Maya were doing. But I had already opened the door when I heard quiet sobbing.

But it was not as I expected still Maya, no, it was Lily who was crying softly. Our little Maya had put her hand to her mommy's face and was stroking her cheek to comfort her.

"Hey..." I said softly.

"Hey..." she sniffled.

I sat down next to them and put my arm around Lily's shoulders.

"I'm sorry. This mess is all my fault. Maybe coming here wasn't such a good idea after all." she whispered.

"No, Lily. None of this is your fault. We just want this to work out somehow and for that we had to start somewhere. It'll all work out. Don't worry about it." I said before giving her a kiss on the temple.

"Why are you so sure about that?" she wanted to know.

"Because I have faith." I replied simply.

"And how are you doing right now? With everything I mean." she wanted to know after a few minutes of silence.

"Well.... I guess... You heard?" I asked.

"You weren't exactly quiet," Lily replied.

"Honestly? I'm not even mad or disappointed. I don't care what she did or anything that happened.... because the truth is.... once I... spent time with you... you were more important to me than anything else in my world. Sure, it was bad timing, but that doesn't change how good it felt. How good it still feels. We had problems, in hindsight a lot of them. And I'm convinced that no person can break into a healthy marriage or relationship in general. But ours wasn't.

And I'll be completely sincere. I didn't expect it to happen. But no matter what, I think we would have broken up sooner or later anyway. We can't control who we fall in love with. And I fell in love with you, Lilian Brooks," I explained quietly.

"Love Mommy?" asked Maya, who had been quiet so far, just listening to us.

"That's right, angel. I love your mommy and I love you." I replied, stroking her cheek with my index finger.

"Love Dada." then Maya said and gave me a big smile.

"I know you love your daddy, my darling. It was love at first sight." said Lily before giving the little one a kiss on the forehead.

"And what about you?" I asked before I could stop myself.

"I... love you too, Ro." she whispered slowly.

"Kiss Dada..." giggled Maya then.

"May I?" I wanted to know.

But instead of answering me, she leaned towards me. Our lips met in a small yet meaningful kiss.

I was sure that we would manage it all. As long as we stuck together.