19 Aloha

Roman POV

After the long flight we had arrived on O'ahu. Although I was looking forward to meeting Lily's parents, I was still a little sick to my stomach. I didn't have the slightest idea what they thought of me. No matter how much Lily assured me that they held no grudges or distrust.

"Your mom's name is Carol and your dad is Peter, right? Wouldn't it be better to address them as Mr. and Mrs. Brooks? Are you sure it's okay?" I asked as we stowed our luggage in the rental car.

Maya was already sitting in her car seat and chattering away. She kept repeating that she was looking forward to Grammy and Pop Pop. And as always when she was excited about something, she bounced up and down like she was made of rubber.

"Mom even insisted on it. They both hate being called by their last names." replied Lily as she stroked my back reassuringly as I lifted the last suitcase inside and then closed the trunk lid.

"Okay, Miss Maya...are you ready to see Grammy and Pop Pop?" asked Lily as she got behind the wheel.

It made the most sense that she was driving because she had been here many times before and knew the way.

Once again I let Lily explain to me how it had come that her parents had moved to Hawaii. It was actually a cool story. They had won the lottery over 5 years ago. Their prizes included a substantial amount of money and a vacation on the island. On that vacation, the two had fallen so in love with the island that they had quickly decided to move. Money was now no longer a problem and it was especially beneficial to Lily's mother's health.

Apparently, the two bought a relatively large property with a house and guest apartment. But they didn't rent it out, because on the one hand they didn't need to and on the other hand they were only allowed to do so once a month in Hawaii anyway.

Therefore, the apartment that was on the property was dedicated to family and friends. Of course, this was especially convenient for Lily and Maya.

"Ro, please stop fidgeting. You don't have to be nervous." laughed Lily as she pulled up in front of a beautiful house an hour later.

"Dada nerves." giggled Maya from the back seat.

"Nervous, angel. And no Daddy's not nervous. Mommy just made that up." I said as I turned to the little one.

"Sure, sure..." grinned Lily as she put a hand on my thigh.

"Maya what do you say when you see your grandparents?" asked Lily the little girl as we got out and headed for the door.

"Aloha!" squealed Maya, throwing her hands in the air.

"Oh, I heard right. Peter! They are here! They are finally here. Get the leis!" I heard a woman's voice call out who was now coming toward us with quick steps.

"Grammy!" exclaimed Maya, squirming until she was on her feet.

"Oh hello my little doll. I missed you so much." said Carol as she bent down to give her granddaughter a hug.

"Grammy, look. My Dada!" the little one said before pointing at me.

I thought I noticed a hint of pride in her. That made me smile. She was such a perfect little angel.

"Pop Pop!" she then called before we could say anything.

"Aloha guys! Welcome!" said Peter as he approached us with flower leis in hand.

Maya reached out to him and as he wrapped her in his arms she snuggled tightly against his neck.

"Lily, so this is Roman. Roman, hello, I'm Carol. It's nice to meet you." she said as she first hugged Lily and then me. She put the leis around our necks as she smiled happily.

"It's nice to meet you too! Lily has already told me a lot about you guys." I replied.

"Oh my.... I hope only good things. But now come on in, come on in. I can't wait to spend time with you guys. Maya, come with Grammy. I have presents." she said.

Together with Lily's dad, I quickly went to bring in the luggage. But then I heard the women talking quietly.

"He looks darn good. I don't blame you for getting weak. I could get jealous." her mom giggled.

"Hey, I heard that. Are you saying I don't look good?" asked Peter jokingly.

"Oh yes you do my darling. You're a god in shorts." replied Carol quickly with a laugh.

This family had a great sense of humor. But that took some getting used to.