23 Not as I had imagined

Roman POV

"Oh gosh... That was a long day. I'm glad she fell asleep in the car." said Lily as she carried Maya to her room while I grabbed our bags.

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad. And Maya really enjoyed it. Maybe she'll be a wrestler herself someday." I replied quietly.

Maya and Lily had accompanied me to another show today. And since it was in Orlando, we were able to drive the distance. Maya was as always totally happy as she watched me rehearsing our match. When we were done, she was jumping up and down in the ring. She even tried her own little maneuvers.

For example, she sat on my chest while trying to press my arm to the mat. It was adorable. Of course I played along. Lily stood outside and filmed the whole thing while laughing heartily herself. I was so happy to hear her laughing like that. It meant she was in a good mood and I hoped it would stay that way.

"Oh that wouldn't surprise me in the least. She is so incredibly much like you. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she followed in your footsteps," Lily said quietly while putting Maya into her pajamas.

The little darling didn't notice any of this, she was so exhausted from the day. Nevertheless, she had a small, sweet smile on her lips.

"Are you tired too, or are you still in the mood for a little surprise?" I asked as I took her by the hand and led her to our room.

"Well, how could I resist a surprise from you." she chuckled as I reached up and wrapped my arms around my neck.

"That's not the kind of surprise I meant, but I'll be happy to come back to it later. You go get freshened up. I'll come get you in a few minutes, okay?" I replied as I slid my hands over her hips and then gave her a few kisses.

I had to admit that it was hard not to get distracted, but I had plans that had to be put into action. There was plenty of time for everything else later.

"Okay... Don't make me wait too long." Lily breathed against my lips.

"I'll do my best, baby girl," I replied, giving her a pat on the butt.

----------------------

After I reluctantly detached myself from her, I went to the kitchen to quickly warm up the food I had already prepared. Then I hurried to the deck and turned on the light before I brought out candles and lit them. I was glad that all this did not take too long. I didn't want Lily to get impatient or even fall asleep.

I distributed the food on the plates and brought them out. Then I quickly opened a bottle of the red wine I knew my girl would like. I let my eyes wander over the whole again. Everything was as I had imagined. Satisfied, I went on my way to get Lily.

"Everything is ready, Miss Brooks," I said as I opened the door to the bedroom.

Lily came up to me with a curious look and then took the hand I held out to her. That's how I led her out.

"Ro... this is beautiful. What's the occasion?" she asked as the sight of the deck brightly lit with candlelight presented itself to her.

"Well... as you know we've been together for almost a year now. A year of calling you mine and a year of being so happy. And it's all because of you and Maya. I am blessed to have you in my life. But there is one thing missing.

Lily Brooks, I love you and I wanted to ask if you want to marry me?" I said as I turned her to me so I could look deep into her eyes.

But instead of tears of joy, I saw nothing but fear and shock in her eyes.

"Roman, you know that I love you too... But I... I... I can't. I'm sorry." she stammered.

I didn't know what to say or how to react. Shocked, I let go of her hands and left. I had to get away from her as fast as I could. I was not aware of anything. Not where I was going or how she tried to explain it to me. I didn't want to hear it anyway.

The door slammed into the lock behind me as I walked with quick steps to the car. I started the engine and drove off. Without a destination in mind. I just wanted to get away, because this evening had not gone as I had imagined.