20 A day at the beach

Lily POV

"Well, tell me how it's going," Mom said as we spread out a blanket on the beach and unpacked the picnic basket.

Maya was busy building a sand castle with her daddy and Pop Pop. As always, she had very specific ideas about how it should look in the end. Of course, both Ro and my dad did their best to make our little one happy.

"Pretty good. Only the flying back and forth is pretty exhausting. I'm totally stressed out about it. It's not good for Maya either. But other than that, we're fine." I replied.

"I can imagine that. And how about the other kids? How often have you spent time together now?" she wanted to know.

"Four or five times. It's getting better but especially Joelle, Roman's oldest, is very reserved. The boys are really great with Maya and I can tell she likes them a lot." I said as I watched Maya fill her sand molds with sand and then hand them to Roman.

"Sweetie, listen... I know you said you wanted to take your time so the kids would get used to you, but.... honestly... what difference would it make if you lived together? Not much, because the kids won't see you more than they do now. But it would be better and much less stressful for you and especially for Maya.

And even if it doesn't work out with you in the long run, Maya should still be near her father and her siblings. You owe that to her and also to yourself. I see how much you love him and how much he loves you. Don't make it so hard on yourself if you don't have to," Mom replied.

"You don't think it's too soon?" I asked as I looked at her.

"No... And a move isn't organized and done in three days. It takes a couple of weeks at least. Time goes by so fast." she said.

"It's a big change..." I said softly.

"Not as big as the change from back then my darling... you made a mistake back then, but that doesn't mean you can punish yourself all your life. Look at them together. In retrospect, it was a beautiful mistake. And maybe that's exactly how it was supposed to happen.

Oh, and just so you know... Maya's sleeping over at the main house tonight. Then you and Roman can talk and stuff. A little sunset walk on the beach never hurt a relationship," Mom replied.

As I listened to my daughter's joyful laughter and squeals, and then looked at her father, I thought about what Mom had just told me. I knew she was right. 

---------------------

The waves were breaking on the beach as Roman and I walked alone on the North Shore now many hours later. It was peaceful except for the light breeze that blew around us and the splashing of the water.

I held Roman's hand with both hands as we walked barefoot through the still warm sand. He held our shoes in his free hand as we walked on and on without a destination.

The sun was just setting, bathing everything in a beautiful amber light. I could have stayed here forever.

"It's so beautiful here." I breathed as I leaned against his upper arm.

"It is, but it's nothing compared to you, baby girl." he replied softly, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"You're such a charmer. And I love you for it." I giggled.

"That doesn't make it any less true. And I love you too, Lily." he replied, then stopped.

He stood in front of me and then took me tightly in his arms. I stretched so I could wrap my arms around his neck. With a smile, I looked up at him and saw him smiling at me as well. Roman began to lean down to me. Very gently, he kissed me. In this one kiss there was so much love that it almost took my breath away.

"Roman, I wanted to tell you that I've made a decision." I began a while later when we had sat down on a log of driftwood.

Ro had quickly pulled me onto his lap and was lovingly stroking my back with his large hand.

"You mean?" he began.

"Yes, about your suggestion to move to you with Maya. You know I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think I'm ready for this step. I love you and I want to be able to see you more. Of course, the same goes for Maya. Besides, you won't have to split your free time between us and the other kids anymore," I said.

"I'm really glad you said that, baby girl! I love you and Maya so much. I am so happy. You make me happy." he replied as he rested his forehead against mine before giving me a little kiss on the nose.

I giggled before cupping his cheeks and then kissing him. I sighed softly. It was like my decision had lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. A weight I didn't even know was there.

"You know... I wish we could stay here. I love this place. It's so relaxing, quiet and peaceful." Roman spoke as the sun disappeared into the sea, making everything seem a little more like a fairy tale.

"I know what you mean. Maybe in 30 years." I replied.

"That would be perfect. Just you and me. And the kids and grandkids coming to visit. We could have that exact view together." he said dreamily as his eyes wandered first over the beach and the ocean and then to me.