Chapter 18 - A Curious Thing, part 1

Author’s note: This chapter will be in 2 parts, one in the past and one in the future/present.

--------

One year ago. Two riders were hurriedly galloping through the forest. When they finally arrived in the castle, they entered in a big room, where the others were sitting. Charming looked at them. “What’s this?” The riders pulled back their hoods showing their faces.

Snow was joyfully. “Belle! Evelynn!”
Charming looked at them. “Are you two okay? When you, Evelynn and Neal disappeared, we feared the worst.”

Evelynn nodded as Belle replied. “We went off to see, if we could revive the Dark One.”

“What happened?” Regina asked.

“Neal was able to resurrect him. At the cost of his own life.” Evelynn replied, sighing.

Regina looked pleased. “Rumple’s alive.”

Snow looked shocked. “Neal is dead.”

Belle nodded. “I think so.”

“To which?” Regina asked to Belle and Evelynn.

“Both. You see, when Rumple saw that Neal was dying...” Belle gestured descriptively. “...he absorbed him, and Zelena got ahold of the dagger. Now, she controls Rumple.”

Aurora gave Phillip a worried look. “Maybe, now isn’t the time to announce the pregnancy. Regina is right. It’s too dangerous.”

Snow shook with her head. “No, if we don’t, we give into fear. But, if we do, we give the kingdom what they need: Hope.”

“We don’t even know what this Wicked Witch wants.” Charming added.

Aurora looked guilty. “Actually, we do. She wants your baby.”

“She came to us when you were gone. threat us and our unborn child, unless we told her when you arrived in our land.” Philip added.

“She thinks your baby could be important. I’m so sorry. She said she’d hurt us.” Aurora finished.

Suddenly there was a gush of wind all them turn around. Flying in Zelena descended on them. “And I make good on my promises.”  Aurora and Phillip back away in fear. She engulfed both of them in green smoke transforming them into flying monkeys. Shrieking both monkeys took wing.

Snow looked at Zelena. “What do you want with our baby?”

Zelena sighed. “Calm down, sweetie. You don’t want to go into early labour.” She stunned Snow in place.

Charming draws his sword. “Stay away from my wife.” Turning Zelena frozr him in place as well.

“Oh, someone’s testy.” Zelena comment.

“Enough, sis. This is between you and me.” Regina raised a hand intending to magically strangle Zelena. Quickly, Zelena stunned her in place. Then, she walked up to Snow.

“Now, let’s see, if this was all worth it.” Zelena felt her stomach. “Yes. Yes, it was. This child will do quite nicely. So, take good care of it for me. Don’t forget to eat well. I will be back for your happy day. And what’s yours will be mine.” Chuckling she released them.

--------------------

Eight months later. Snow, Charming, Regina, Belle, Evelynn, Richard and Robin discussed how to act on Zelena’s threat. Granny was also present, knitting a blanket. Grumpy entered. Charming looked at him. “Grumpy, tell me, you found something.”

“I’ve been to Blue, Tink, all the fairies. They’ve been scouring the forest for enchanted items to destroy her, but they got zilch. They say, she’s just too powerful.” Grumpy informed them.

Snow sighed in defeat. “It’s happening again. I’m about to give birth and an evil sorceress is threat the future of my child.”

Regina looked at her. “To be fair, the first time, I was threat you. Everyone else just became collateral damage.”

“Remind me again why we forgave her?” Grumpy asked them.

“Oi.” Evelynn exclaimed.

“Because I’m helping.” Regina replied. Robin chuckled. “Frustrating as it is for me to remember, Snow, you had a head start to defeat me last time. How?”

“We were warned.” Charming replied.

“By Rumpelstiltskin.” Snow added.

Regina looked at them. “Maybe he can warn you again.”

Grumpy raised an eyebrow. “Wait. You wanna sneak into Rumple’s castle, where he’s held captive by the Wicked Witch? Name is Grumpy, not Stupid.”

“You’re right. It is stupid, but for our child...” Snow trailed off.

“We’ll do whatever it takes.” Charming added.

“Heart-warming. He’s trapped in his own castle.” Regina looked at Belle. “Belle, you were prisoner there?”

Belle sighed. “Yes, but breaking in? I would have no idea how.”

“Luckily, I do. Me and my brother broke in there once before.” Robin told them. Richard nodded.

Evelynn glanced at them. “Really?”

Richard nodded. “Yes.”

Regina scoffed. “Why are we even listening to him? He’s a thief, which means he’s not to be trusted. What are you even still doing here?”

Robin looked at Regina. “What I’m doing here, is saving your ass. The castle has traps and deadly ones.”

“Not more deadly than my magic.” 

“They are, if you don’t see them coming.”

“Maybe I’m okay with taking my chances.”

Snow interrupted them. “Alright. You may be, but we’re not. He’s coming and so is his brother.” Evelynn beamed.

-----------

Robin, Richard, Charming, Snow, Belle, Evelynn and Regina entered the dark castle. Regina walked up to a door intending to open it. Robin called. “Your Majesty, I wouldn’t.”  Quickly, he nocked an arrow aiming at the door. He successfully hit his target. The impact disarmed a trap the door was provided with.

Regina gasped. “That arrow almost took off my head.”

“Well, that door almost took off your arm. Where I come from, a simple thank you would suffice.” Robin countered.

Regina scorned. “Where you come from, people bathe in the river and use pine cones for money.”

Snow rolled with her eyes. “Come on. Let’s go.” They entered. Inside an imprisoned Rumpelstiltskin spends his time spinning. “Rumpelstiltskin?”

“Papa?!” Evelynn exclaimed.

Rumpelstiltskin giggled. “Rumple, Bumple isn’t here. Rumple, Bumple gone, my dear.”

Regina had her eyes widen. “He really is back from the dead.”

“That’s what we told you.” Evelynn comment. She had the same skin as her father.

Rumpelstiltskin was spinning still. “Dead. Dead. So much better. Dead.”

“He’s lost his mind.” Charming comment.

Rumpelstiltskin giggled. “On the contrary. Now I have two. Two minds. Mining time. Digging deeper in the grime.”

“What is she doing to him?” Belle asked.

Snow frowned. “Nothing that can’t be undone. Rumpelstiltskin, we need your help? How do we stop Zelena?”

Rumpelstiltskin giggled. “Round and round, the circle of time, racing towards the finish line.”

“This is pointless.” Regina sighed.

“Let me try.” Belle told them. Then, she approached the cage, speaking softly. “Hey. Hey Rumple.” She reached with one hand through the bars she touched him lightly. Startled Rumpelstiltskin faced Belle. “Hey. Hey. I know you’re in there. I know you can hear me. How do we stop Zelena?”

“Light.” Rumpelstiltskin whispered.
Belle blinked. “What?”

“Light magic. The Good Witch of the South. Glinda.” Rumpelstiltskin replied.

Belle looked at him. “Glinda, but south of what? Oz?”

Rumpelstiltskin shook with his head. “No. Banished. Here. The Good Witch of the South was banished north. North of the Dark Forest.”

“How do we find her? Rumpelstiltskin. In the Dark Forest, how do we find her?” Snow asked.

“Through the door step inside, if pure of heart, then she won’t hide.” Rumpelstiltskin giggled.

------------

South of the Castle. Snow and Charming discuss their plan with Regina and Evelynn. “Are you out of your minds? Even, if I believe this Glinda, which I don’t, to cast the Dark Curse I’d have to destroy the heart of the thing I love most, which... for me... is Henry.” Regina asked them.

Snow looked at her. “There has to be another way to enact it.”

“If there were, do you think I would have kill my own father?” Regina asked.

“What?” Evelynn exclaimed.

Charming shrugged. “What about a magic bean? If we had one, we could open a portal. Or Jefferson’s hat?”

“There are no more portals. Not for us. Not for anyone the curse brought back. When I undid the first curse to escape Pan to bring us here, it divided our realms. It placed a wall between them.” Regina replied.

“The Dark Curse is the only way.” Charming comment.

“Haven’t you been listening? I can’t cast it.” Regina countered.

“Oh my...” Evelynn sighed, rubbing her face.

Charming glanced at Snow. “But someone else can.”

Snow frowned. “Who?”

“You.” Charming crouched down besides Snow. “It’s the only way. You can use my heart to cast the curse. We have to think of our child.”

Snow looked at him. “Our child needs you. I need you. We’ll find another way. We always find another way.”

----------------

They didn’t find another way. Regina, Snow, Evelynn and Charming watched the Dark Curse boiling in a great cauldron. “It’s ready.” Regina called.

“Okay.” Evelynn comment and looked at the cauldron.

Snow shook with her head. “No. There has to be another way to get to Emma.”

“There isn’t. You know if there were, I’d have gone back to Henry. This is it. This sacrifice.” Regina comment, looking grim.

Charming looked at Snow. “Snow, we have to do this. You have to do this.”

“I can’t. I can’t crush your heart. I can’t lose you.” Snow comment.

“You’ll never lose me. But this… this is our only chance. Think of our baby. Think of being a mother.” Charming told her.

“Our child will never know it’s father.”

“Of course, it will. Through you. We’ve always shared one heart. It'll only grow stronger when you look at that baby's face and see the love I have for you in its eyes.”

“I’ve loved you since the first moment I saw you.”

“And I love you until my last.” Charming told her. They kissed. Then, he at Regina. “Okay. Do it.”

Regina looked at him. “I won’t lie. This is going to hurt. But it will work.” She thrusts her hand into Charming’s chest and took his heart out.

Snow looked at her husband. “Charming?”

“Don’t say good-bye.” Charming replied.

“I love you. I love you more than anything.” Snow comment.

Charming looked at her. “Which is why you have to crush it.” Regina handed Snow Charming’s heart. Crushing the heart Snow added the last ingredient to the Dark Curse. Charming fell dead to the ground. Snow White sobbed.

Regina looked at her. “This won’t be in vain. We will get back to Storybrooke. We will defeat…” Just then, Zelena flow in on her broom and descended on them. Hovering above the cauldron she added an green potion and landed soon after. Regina faces her sister. “Zelena.” She pulled Evelynn behind her.

Zelena snarled. “Did you really think you could enact Rumple’s Dark Curse and I wouldn't know about it?”

“No, but I didn’t really care? You’re too late.” Regina replied.

Zelena shrugged. “Actually, I’m not.” Then, she looked at Snow White. “I’m afraid you sacrificed your charming husband for nothing.”

“Regina, he can’t die in vain.” Snow comment.

“She’s bluffing. Once the curse is enacted it can’t be stopped.” Regina scoffed. Evelynn looked at them.

Zelena looked at her. “I may not be able to stop it, but that doesn’t mean I can’t spice it up a bit. How does a forgetting potion sound?” Then, they all looked over to the cauldron as the curse cloud began expanding. Snow had a look of shock on her face whilst Regina's had cold with annoyance. Evelynn looked in shock as well. Zelena gloated. “Mm, sorry. Did you need your memories in the new land? Were you planning to stop me? Or, for that matter recognize me.”

Snow was defiantly. “We’ll find a way.”

“Without knowing any of this? I doubt it. You’ll be too busy looking for your husband. You won’t even know about his sacrifice. Just endlessly wondering where he could be, always fearing the worst.” Zelena comment. Then, she  looked at Regina and Evelynn. “Pay attention, sisters. This is how you take away a happy ending.” Then, she flow off. Snow, Evelynn and Regina looked to Charming's body, devastated.

--------------

Snow mourned her husband as the curse cloud continued to expand above them. “Regina, I need you to rip out my heart.” Regina looked confused. “Charming’s right. We have been of one heart since the day he woke me from the sleeping curse. If you split my heart in half, we can both survive.”

Regina looked at her. “Snow, I know your love is strong, but this isn’t like plucking a flower. How do you know it will work?”

“It may not work.” Evelynn added.

Snow was desperate. “Faith. Belief. I believe. I believe my heart is strong enough for both of us.”

“But, if you’re wrong, you’ll die.” Regina was concerned.

“Please. Please, Regina. Do it.” Snow placed her arms on Regina's shoulders as she thrusts her hand in Snow’s chest and rips out her heart. Carefully, she broke the heart into halves. She plaes the two halves back into Snow and Charming as they both anxiously wait for Charming's revival. 'After a moment Charming inhaled deeply. Relieved Regina smiled.

“Wow.” Evelynn muttered.

Charming looked, surprised. “Snow? Snow, what’s happening?”

Snow had teary-eyed. “You’re okay. We’re both okay.” They kissed as Regina and Evelynn smiled. They looked up as the Dark Curse slowly spilled from the cauldron and begins to surround them. The rest of the cloud soon collapsed on top of them.