Chapter 18 - A Curious Thing, part 2

Present time, Granny’s Bed and Breakfast. Regina and Evelynn joined Mary Margaret, David and Emma. Mary Margaret turned around as Regina and Evelynn entered the room. “Regina.” She comment to Regina. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you look smitten.”

“Well she is.” Evelynn comment as well, glancing her.

Regina scoffed. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say Häagen-Dasz is smitten with your stomach. Can we get started?”

“We were waiting for Hook.” Emma replied. Evelynn rolled with her eyes.

“I don’t have time to wait for the handless wonder. We have to figure out how to destroy our sister.” Regina exclaimed, glancing at Evelynn, who nodded.

“For once, I agree with Regina. Stopping her plan is the priority.” David comment.

Emma looked at Regina. “There’s something about this plan that doesn’t fit: Regina.”

“I’m the point of it. So she can take my life for herself.” Regina scoffed.

“Oh, my...” Evelynn muttered.

Emma looked at her. “Yes, but why bring you back to Storybrooke? Why bring any of us?”

“Well, no one’s ever succeeded at traveling through time. Perhaps something from this world makes it possible. But, what’s almost as troubling is that she was able to cast the curse, to bring us all here in the first place.” Regina replied.

“Why is that?” Emma asked.

“To do it you have to give up the thing you love most. From what I gather Zelena doesn’t love much.” Regina replied.

“Only Mary Margaret and David.” Evelynn muttered.

Emma looked at Regina. “Neither did you. You managed.”

David looked at all of them. “Zelena is smart. Strategic. Perhaps we discovered something in the missing year to stop her.”

“And then, the only way to stop us from interfering was to bring us back here and wipe our memories. So, if we get our memories back, we might already know how to defeat her.” Mary Margaret added.

“We just need to break this curse.” David finished.

Mary Margaret looked at her daughter. “Well, thank goodness we have a saviour.”

Emma sighed. “I would love to, but there’s one problem. Last time, all it took was me believing in magic and kissing Henry. Since I’ve been back, I’ve done both and nothing.”

“It’s the belief. Henry. He needs to believe. In this new life he doesn’t. We have to get him to believe again.” Regina realized.

“I agree.” Evelynn added.

Emma sighed. “So, what? We put on a magic show?”

“How did you believe?” Evelynn asked.

Emma shrugged. “The book. The storybook.”

“That’s what started Henry on his original path. And what got you to believe.” Regina got excited. “It’s the key. In him believing. In him remembering. Remembering everything.”

“That’s not necessarily a gift. He’s been through a lot of tough stuff.” Emma told her.

“And some good stuff. Either way it’s our best bet.” Regina added.

“Indeed and I’m his aunt.” Evelynn smiled. “He was really excited when he had first heard it.”

Mary Margaret smiled. “She’s right. And so is Evelynn.”

“I know. Let’s find it.” Emma nodded.

-------------

David ended a telephone call. “Gold’s was a dead end. That was Belle. No book in the shop.”

Mary Margaret looked at Regina. “Regina, you said the last place you saw it was Henry’s room.”

“Yes, but it’s not there. Swept away by the last curse.” Regina sighed.

David looked at them. “A book can’t just disappear.”

“It can, from what i just heard.” Evelynn comment.

“But it can just appear. The first curse. It just showed up in my closet, when I needed it. Or more accurately, when Henry needed it.” Mary Margaret told them.

Emma frowned. “What do you mean?”

Mary Margaret looked at her. “He was going through a rough time. He was realizing he had been given up. He didn’t feel like he had a real family.”

Regina nodded. “He did.”

“That may be. But, Regina, he wasn’t feeling that way with you or with anyone. He needed to believe in happy endings again. That’s what the book gave him.” Mary Margaret comment.

Regina sighed. “Well, he needs to believe again. In fact, I think we all do. What do you think we go check your closet?”

“Book hunting.” Evelynn muttered.

--------------

Later, they arrived in the Blanchard Apartment. Emma, Mary-Margaret, David, Evelynn and Regina were looking for Henry’s storybook. David, Evelynn and Regina searched the bedroom, Mary Margaret and Emma another. Regina opened one suitcase and looked inside searching for the book. It’s empty. David opened a chest. Shoe boxes were stored inside. Evelynn over saw it. “So many box’s.”

David picked one shoe box and set it aside. “Why do women keep their shoe boxes?”

Mary Margaret overheard the remark. “Because after true love there is no more powerful magic than footwear. It has to be protected.”

“Really?” Evelynn asked. “I would never stored the box’s.”

Emma rolled with her eyes. “Any sign of the book?”

David shut the chest. “No. I don’t think it’s here.”

“You don’t know that.” Mary Margaret comment.

Emma was carrying another wooden chest she joined David, Evelynn and Regina. “Maybe it’s in this thing.” Placed the chest on the bed and opened it. Clothes were stored inside. Relieved. “Some winter coats. Some scarves. The book is not in here.” She sighed.

Mary Margaret calked. “Hang on. Let me check.” After a while of searching she was able to find the storybook.

Emma blinked. “I don’t understand."

“Can I see that?" Regina asked. Mary Margaret gave the book to Regina. “I know there are chapters on Oz in here. I wanna know who’s heart Zelena crushed to enact this curse. Because if there’s something she loved, that’s her weakness.” Regina exited the room. David headed after her. Even Evelynn followed them.

-------------

Sometime later, entering the diner Emma approached Mary Margaret, David, Evelynn and Regina. “He’s gone.”

“What do you mean, gone?” Regina asked.

“I mean he's not in the room. He's not in the parlour...”Emma searched her pockets. “...and my keys are gone. My car keys.”

“Give me something of his. I’ll try a locator spell.” Regina comment.

“I’m way ahead of you. I’ve got GPS on his phone. He’s at the docks.” Emma comment.

“Wow.” Evelynn comment, blinking.

--------------

Running Emma, David, Evelynn and Regina entered the boat house. They saw Henry, Hook and flying monkeys. David throws his sword at another winged creature. Regina snarled. “I never liked pets.” She launched a fire ball at a monkey sitting above. Two surviving flying monkeys remain. Emma shot one of them and Evelynn launched a fire ball at their last opponent.

Then, Emma helped Henry to his feet. “Henry, are you okay?”

Henry nodded. “Y… Yeah. What were those things?” David sheathed his sword. “Why does he have a sword?”

“It’s all gonna make sense in a minute, I promise.” Emma replied.

Henry was confused. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m sorry I was keeping things from you. You were right. You deserve to know the truth.” Emma showed Henry his storybook.

Henry was still confused. “About fairy tales? I don’t understand.”

“Do you trust me?”

“Yes, of course, I do.”

“Then I need you to believe.”

“Believe in what?”

“Believe in magic.”

“From a book?”

“It’s more than just a book. Do you believe in me?”

“Yes.”

“Then take it.” Emma handed Henry the book.

As soon as he took it, Henry remembered visiting Emma in Boston, both of them sitting together at his castle, Emma breaking the curse, using pixie dust to fly in Neverland, practice sword fighting with his father, leaving Storybrooke. He looked at Emma. “Mom?” Emma smiled. Then, he looked at Regina. “Mom?” Regina hugged Henry. “I remember.” Then, he looked at Emma. “I remember.”

“Do it, Emma. Break the curse.” Regina comment. Emma leaned forward to kiss Henry but he disappeared.

“What?!” Evelynn exclaimed.

Zelena trapped Henry in her arms. “So, sorry to interrupt. Now, who wants to say good-bye first?”

Henry struggled to break free. “Who are you?”

“You can call me Auntie Zelena.” Zelena replied. Henry frowned.

“Enough of this.” Regina took a step towards her Zelena. Raising a hand Zelena magically pushed her sister backwards. Evelynn did the same as Zelena pushed her back as well.

“Let him go. He had nothing to do with this.” Emma called.

“Don’t blame me. The captain failed me.” Zelena comment.

“Damn you, Zelena.” Hook scolded her.

Emma looked at him. “Hook, what’s she talking about?”

“He knew what the price of that failure was: Your son’s life.” Zelena replied in stead.

Henry with a strained voice. “Mom.” Emma focused her magic on Zelena freeing Henry.

“Run!” Emma shouted. Henry hugged her.

Zelena was frustrated. “Enjoy this moment together because you don’t have many left!” Then, she poofed away in green smoke.

Emma looked at her son. “Henry, are you okay?”

Henry nodded. “Yeah. Yeah.” Then, he crouched down beside Regina. Gently shaking her he tried to awake Regina. “Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom, please. Wake up! Mom! Mom!”

Finally, Regina woke up. “Henry.”

“Mom.” Henry comment. Regina stood up and hugged Henry.

Regina was relieved. “Henry. Oh, Henry.” She smiled. “I will never let you go away again. I promise. I love you, Henry.” Then, she kissed Henry lightly on the forehead. The Dark Curse broke. Mary Margaret hugged David.

Emma looked at Regina. “It wasn’t me. It was you.” Then, she looked at her parents. “Mary Margaret. David, did it work? Do you remember the missing year?”

Mary Margaret nodded. “Yes, everything.”

“How did Zelena cast the curse?” Emma asked.

Mary Margaret shook her head. “She didn’t, Emma. We did.”

Emma blinked. “You cursed yourselves?”

“Zelena’s weakness is light magic. I mean, it’s clear now, more than ever. You’re the only one who can defeat her.” Mary Margaret replied.

David nodded. “That’s why we paid the price for Regina’s curse. To find you.”

“The price of the curse is the heart of the thing you love most. If one of you cast it, how are you both still here?” Emma asked, frowning.

“Heart split in half.” Evelynn replied, then she realized. “I need to go.” She poofed away in purple smoke.

------------

Evelynn appeared in front of Richard. “Hey.”

Richard jumped a little. “Evelynn.” He exclaimed.

‘”Sorry, but do you remember everything?” Evelynn asked.

Richard nodded. “Yes.”

Evelynn smiled. “Good.”

Then, they rushed into each others arms and kissed.