❤️Monsters

"Is it better to out-monster the monster, or to be quietly devoured?"
—Friedrich Nietzsche, Good and Evil

The monsters were never under her bed. They were all inside the poor girls head.

Oh to learn at a young age that monsters exist not only in your imagination. To walk the streets and see that there are people who look as sweet as an angel, but are as cruel as the devil.

However, this wasn't the case for young Blossom. She'd never been one to believe in the scary, ugly, green spiky monsters that her younger sister believed in. She wasn't scared something was under her bed, or inside a closet. She wasn't terrified of a creature clawing up from under her bed and grabbing her ankles.

No, Blossom wasn't afraid of those types of monsters at all. She was afraid of the monsters that lurked inside her head. The ones that pushed her to do things she didn't want to do.

The ones that fed her lies. The ones that make her hate herself. The ones that mocked her. The ones that laughed at her.

Growing up she heard the same things:

"You're worthless..."

"You shouldn't be here...."

"People would be better off without you...."

"You're not good enough..."

"You're always gonna be second choice..."

She fears no monsters, for no monsters does she see.

She didn't see any monsters like most children her age had. There was no scary creature hiding in her closet with fangs as sharp as a razor. No blood-crying beasts. No smirking purple goblins holding a dead baby.

There was none of those. She didn't see any monsters. So how on earth could she be afraid of them? How could she be afraid of a thing she couldn't see?

The logic made no sense to the young girl. She was too smart for her own good.

Her kindergarten teacher told them to draw a monster. When Blossom raised her hand, she told the teacher she didn't believe in monsters. Why would she draw something she didn't find relevant to her life?

"Well if your monsters aren't that of the other children, what else could a monster be?" Her teacher has asked.

Blossom thought over this.

What else could a monster be?

Years later she was finally able to answer the question.

She looked at herself in the mirror.

Dark circles from a restless night under her eyes. Mascara running down her face. Red cheeks stained with tears. Eyes a bloodshot red. Blood poured out the corner of her mouth and down her nose.

One glance at the boy in the corner of the room, nothing but a corpse. A pile of bone and flesh.

She finally realized why she didn't see any monsters. As she stared at the lifeless body... the voices in her head started talking again. This time praising her for what she'd done.

"About time..."

"See?! The potential has always been there..."

"Doesn't his blood smell sweet..."

"You enjoyed it more than you thought..."

"You little murder~"

"One more body?"

Blossom began to cry then and there. She needed someone to stop her. Needed someone to lock her away. She couldn't stand to hurt anyone.

Then it was as if something inside her had crawled it's way to the surface. Something dark, and twisted. Something menacing.

She watched her appearance shift from that of a frightened woman to that of a heartless cold monster. Her lips twitched up into a smile, baring her teeth as though they were fangs. Eyes loosing their sparkle.

"Who are you?" The Blossom who was still barely in control had asked. She gazed upon her reflection in the mirror.

As she did so, the reflection merely grinned bigger. "Take a guess." The reflection's eyes had grown a darker shade.

Blossom blinked back the fresh tears wanting to escape.

Her monster... it hadn't of been a creature of darkness. Nothing of spikes or fangs.

'Cause all this time... the monster has been:

"Me."

•••••••••••••

This is not a part of any other one-shot. It's not gonna be made a series. It's just a simple writing exercise that I was working on. I PROMISE I am working on the final part to the "Royal assassination" (I prefer to call it "Royal Pain in my Ass") butchercup One-shot series. It's just a whole lot longer than all the other chapters and is taking up a lot more time than I realized it would. I have a beginning, a semi-end, and some of the middle written. I just need to finish it up.