➶ 002 ➶

We made our way back to Ponyboy and his brothers, I saw him quickly wipe away his tears and I slowed down a bit. I've never really been good with emotions, especially with crying so I hung back just a tiny bit. I was Ok with comforting people but I also found it hard, yet the gang thought I was great at it which I didn't understand. "Didya catch 'em?" Ponyboy looked up at us.

"Nup. They got away this time, the dirty . . ." two-bit dragged on cheerfully, calling the Socs every name he could think up.

"the kids ok?" I asked.

"I'm ok" he said and I nodded. It was quite for a short while before he spoke up again. I knew the kid didn't like to talk much which was understandable. "didn't think you were out of the cooler yet, Dally? Is it true Joey broke you out?".

"Nope." He responded, emphasizing the P, "good behavior. Got off early" Dallas lit a cigarette and handed one to johnny. Everyone sat down as we all has a smoke. It took away tension. Helped us to relax, I could tell it was working for Ponyboy as his color was coming back and he had quit trembling.

"nice lookin' bruise you got there, kid" Two-bit spoke up.

I looked over at the two as Ponyboy gently touched his face, he said something else but I wasn't listening. Somehow I had gotten lost in a pair of pale blue-green eyes. Darry had this look on his face as if he was contemplating something. His eyebrows furrowed together in confusion and worry.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I realized he had started talking, "you don't ever think," he said and I sighed. 'here we go'. "not at home or anywhere where it counts. You must think at school, with all those good grades you bring home, and you've always got your nose buried in a book, but do you ever use your head for common sense? No sirree bub. And if you did have to go by yourself, you should've carried a blade". No that wasn't fair, but I didn't interrupt, you never do when Darry's lecturing Ponyboy.

It was quite for a moment as Ponyboy looked down at his shoes, I noticed Soda glaring at Darry meaning either he was about to say something to him to get him to lay off or something entirely different. I decided it was the latter as Soda did eventually speak up.

"leave my kid brother alone, you hear? It ain't his fault he likes to go to the movies, and it ain't his fault the Socs like to jump us, and if he had been carrying a blade it would have been a good excuse to cut him to ribbons" I nodded at what soda had said if your not careful and Socs get the jump on ya while you got a blade it gets real messy.

"When I want my kid brother to tell me what to do with my other kid brother, I'll ask you - kid brother," Darry said impatiently but laid off on the scolding. My brother probably would've had the same reaction to be honest, but wouldn't be as tough on me. But I guess that's why Darry and I get along well, 'cause I know where he's comin' from, kinda.

"next time get one of us to go with you, Ponyboy," two-bit said and the rest of the gang agreed, "any of us will". We my not be related but we care for each other as if we were all brothers.

"speakin' of movies" Dally yawned as he flicked his cigarette butt, "I'm walkin' over to the nightly double tomorrow night. Anybody want to come and hunt some action?"

I looked over the gang to see Steve shake his head, "Me and Soda are pickin' up Evie and Sandy for the game" he said.

Darry sighed saying he couldn't because of work, "I'm working tomorrow night" as per usual.

Dally looked at the rest of us, "how about y'all? Two-bit? Joey? Johnnycake, you and Pony wanta come?" I might've gone but I just wasn't feeling up to it to be honest, so I shook my head and flicked away my cigarette butt.

"me and Johnny'll come" Pony spoke up, looking at Darry for permission. "Okay, Darry?"

"yeah" he agreed, "since it ain't a school night"

Dally looked at me and Two-bit expecting one of us to come. "I was plannin' on getting boozed up tomorrow night" two-bit said.

"don't mind if I join do ya, Two-bit?" I asked and he agreed, "we'll walk over and find y'all if we don't".

I had dozed off again, looking at my old tattered watch, the only thing I had left from a life I hoped to leave behind, yet no matter what I do it always seems to catch up with me. I was abandoned once and now that Alice is gone I felt abandoned once again, like I mean she left without any explanation one night, and boy did that hurt.

"Oi, Joey," I turned to look up at who was calling me, which was Darry, "you gonna stay with us tonight or you gonna head back to your place?" he asked.

I had a tendency of staying over at their place every once and a while, "uhh yeah. If you don't mind" I got up and dusted myself off.

"of course not" Darry put his arm around my shoulder and said, "you're family". I pondered for a moment, I always saw the gang as family but then again I also didn't, to me family was something harsh that you roped into having. But that was my forced family this is my chosen family.