➶ 012 ➶

By the time morning came around, I was woken up by the house phone ringing. I looked around and noticed I was in Darry's bed, but he wasn't there. I got up and noticed it was almost noon. "shoot-" I said but soon heard a large crash.

I raced out into the kitchen and saw Darry standing next to the phone with a horrified look on his face. "quickly, get Sophia" I nodded and ran to Soda's room waking Sophia up, "Soda! Quickly get up! Pony and Johnny are at the hospital!" after that Darry quickly raced to the hospital where we found Ponyboy sitting in the waiting room.

Soda was first to him and hugged him, talking about how his hair was all gone and bleached, the kid definitely looked different. I turned to look at Darry, only so see him crying. Darry, never cried, not even when his parents died, he just stood there, not making a sound, just staring at pony with this strong hard look on his tear-stained face.

"Darry!" Pony screamed racing over to him and hugging him tightly, "Darry, I'm so sorry" the two hugged, making me almost cry as well.

Ponyboy sniffled, and looked over at me eyes going wide as he saw Sophia. "Jesus Joey, Soda said you had a kid in his letter, but I didn't believe it!" he looked at her, and smiled talking to her. I was amazed at how she made everyone in the room smile. Even some nurses and old folks loved her.

Soon enough some policemen and reporters came in taking photos scaring ponyboy, Darry scared them away and Soda impersonated them. Overall they were just really annoying.

After a few hours or so Soda had fallen asleep in Darry's lap and I was struggling to stay awake, we tried to get some information about Dally and Johnny's condition but they wouldn't tell us. That was until Darry got a hold of a doctor and made him tell us.

Dally would be fine in a few days, with only a few scratches and a burnt arm, but it was Johnny that was in bad condition. Johnny had broken his back and had severe third degree burns all along his back, but apparently he couldn't even feel the burns below his waist.

"you wanted it straight and you got it straight" the doctor said and I glared at his attitude. "look, go home get some rest" and so we did, I could tell Pony was still super worried about Johnny and Dally.

"it'll be all right Pony" I said and he said nothing but instead gave me a slight hum in response. He was trembling and it looked like he was about to cry. I knew he was close to having a panic attack, but he took a deep breath and calmed down slightly.

Soda had woken up by now and he looked stunned and almost panicked. "we'd better go home. We can't do anything here" Darry said as we all started to head home.

"hey Ponyboy" I had walked inside to put Sophia down on Darry's bed. While he got Soda and Ponyboy to get up and go to bed.

"he's gotten awful light," Darry said entering his room.

"all right well imma head back over to my house," I said getting up and cracking my back.

"the fuck you are" I looked at him confused. "its to dangerous to be walkin' around this late, stay here, you can sleep in my bed with Sophia" I was kinda hoping he'd say I could sleep with him again.

He pulled off his short and laid down beside me, I chuckled and pulled my jacket off and laid Sophia on my chest, and slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next morning a woke up to Darry moving in bed. "good mormin'" I said smiling at him still feeling groggy.

"mornin'" he said and pecked me on the lips.

"no I could get used to that" he laughed and I made my way into the kitchen, while Darry went to the bathroom. It was in here where we saw, Twi-bit and Steve hanging around Pony while he read the newspaper.

"you mean..." he gulped, "they're thinking about putting me and Soda in a boy's home or something?" he asked, Steve carefully combed bac his hair before saying "somehtin' like that"

I hit him over the head for being insensitive. Ponyboy sat down stressing about everything again. "no" we all stared at him.

"no what?"

"No, they ain't goin' to put us in a boy's home," he said in a serious tone still staring at the floor.

"don't stress about it to much kid," I said getting out a bottle and making some milk for Sophia, seeing as she couldn't eat properly yet.

"They don't do things like that to heroes. Where're Soda and Superman?"

That was as far as he got, because Darry, shaved and dressed, came in behind Steve and lifted him up off the floor, then dropped him. We all call Darry "Superman" or "Muscles" at one time or another; but one time Steve made the mistake of referring to him as "all brawn and no brain," and Darry almost shattered Steve's jaw. Steve didn't call him that again, but Darry never forgave him; Darry has never really gotten over not going to college. That was the only time I've ever seen Soda mad at Steve, although Soda attaches no importance to education. School bored him. No action. Soda came running in.

"Where's that blue shirt I washed yesterday?" He took a swig of chocolate milk out of the container.

"Hate to tell you, buddy," Steve said, still flat on the floor, "but you have to wear clothes to work. There's a law or something."

"Oh, yeah," Soda said. "Where're those wheat jeans, too?"

"I ironed. They're in my closet," Darry said. "Hurry up, you're gonna be late." Soda ran back, muttering,

"I'm hurryin', I'm hurryin'." Steve followed him and in a second there was the general racket of a pillow fight. I absentmindedly watched Darry as he searched the icebox for chocolate cake.

"Darry," Ponyboy said suddenly, "did you know about the juvenile court?" there was a silence and it felt horrible.

"Yeah, the cops told me last night." It was sad, because Darry was worried about this. He didn't wanna loose anyone else.

"Ihad one of those dreams last night. The one I can't ever remember." Darryspun around to face Ponyboy, genuine fear on his face. "What?".